Find
Notify
Tools

Primers
 Login/Join

<Old Timer>
posted
Hello,
I have been working up a load for a 22.5 bbl 3006 useing RL 15 52.5 grs producing 2950 ave vel and loads with IMR 4350 59 grs. producing 2795 ave both loads are using new win brass and F 210 primers all are at the same COL and fire on the same day the Rl 15 load is producing around .5" at 100 yds while the IMR 4350 load is at 1.2". This contrary to friends books solfware, could tha difference be the federal primers i know f 210 work well with RL powders but not sure about IMR's. WHat do you think????
Old Timer

one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
WHat do you think????
It proves that rifles do not always agree with what load books and software say. Each rifle is a law unto itself.

Changing the brand of primers might produce opposite results, or maybe not. That's part of the fun of this hobby - finding what works best in that particular rifle. 'Course, once you do that, then try a different lot of primer/powder/bullet/case, it might all change again. The fun never stops.

R-WEST

[ 10-02-2003, 20:26: Message edited by: R-WEST ]

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have found primers to be the least significant variable in centerfire rifle loading.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sounds like your particular rifle may like the RL-15 loads due to the faster velocity. I have a Browning BLR in 30-06 that is like this also. The faster I push the bullets, the better my groups are on average. You just have to try to think about barrel harmonics. The steel in your barrel may just simply be in better tune with the bullets when they are traveling faster than the average 30-06 load.

Posts: 193 | Location: Laramie, Wyoming | Registered: 01 October 2003Reply With Quote
<Old Timer>
posted
Thanks to all that responded,
I have been handloading for 30 years and when I have a person along side of me loading the same load but getting 150'more vel it makes me wonder if i know what i think i know and i bet some of you are the same way.
Old Timer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Reloader 15 is a faster powder than IMR-4350. It is close to IMR-4064. The velocities given seem in the ballpark of expected results. You may want to try IMR-4064 ( which has produced good accuracy for me in an 06 with 125 - 150 grain bullets ). You may not be getting full powder burn on the 4350 in the 22 inch barrel with your bullet weight.

[ 10-03-2003, 02:50: Message edited by: Old & Slow ]

Posts: 230 | Location: Alabama; USA | Registered: 18 May 2003Reply With Quote