New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help out a reloading rookie!!!!!
 Login/Join

<Sawblade>
posted
I've finally decided to do what I've been wanting to do for a long time....start reloading. I read this board every day and love it. I've learned a good bit here, but now I need some advice. Since I'll only be reloading occasionally, I don't want to spend a fortune, but I do want quality products. I can get a good deal on a Lyman reloading kit and wondered what your opinion of these presses are? Everyone on here seems to be either a Redding or RCBS fan. Haven't seen much talk of Lyman. The turret press kit is only a few dollars more, should I stay away from a turret press?

No more than I'll use it, I could probably get away with Lee, but I'm afraid I'll start using it more and more and wish I had something better than the Lee. Give me some input please.

Thanks

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I've not used the lyman kit, as I started with the ubiqitous Rock chucker kit. Take a look at Natchez shooting supply before you decide, they usually have the Rockchucker kit on sale. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Sawblade -

Given my druthers, the RCBS Master Kit is the one I'd pick (I think they're on special for $230.00 or something like that at Natchez this month), but, Lyman has been making loading stuff for a long time, too. Had a Lyman turret press for a while, and it just seemed like there was too much slop in it, especially when putting a lot of pressure on it when resizing bottlenecked cases, so I got a Rockchucker. The turret press worked great for handgun loading, though.

One thing to remember, once you start loading, you're probably going to do a LOT of it, so, get the best stuff you can.

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
In case you didn't know, Redding has kits , too. Good prices can likely be had at Graf & Sons. www.grafs.com

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Lightnin>
posted
Bonanza Co-Ax and Redding dies. You'll never be sorry.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think it depends on what you intend to reload. If you're reloading pistol ammo, then maybe a turret press might be a good idea. Otherwise, my advice would be to stay away from the turret presses.

For loading bottle-neck cartridges, I think any of the strong cast-iron O-type presses, by RCBS, Redding, Lyman, or others, would be about equally good in terms of the results you'll get from them. I have used a Redding Boss press for some time, and am completely satisfied with it.

I use both RCBS and Lee loading dies, and, although there are differences between them, I've never been able to tell any difference in the results from the two in terms of accuracy. I have had only one experience with Lyman dies (in .338), and I had to return that set because the seating die was smashing the exposed lead tip of the .338 bullets I was using, but I do not consider that to be sufficient evidence of anything, one way or the other, as it meant only that the seating plug in that die was the wrong one to use with those bullets.

For some things -- especially their loading dies, their case trimming system, their powder measure, their priming tool, and their factory crimp dies -- I think that Lee equipment is quite good and sometimes better than some more expensive stuff. I use their case lube all the time. I do not like their presses because I think they are not strong enough -- I eventually wrecked a Lee Turret Press through using it to full-length size .338 cases.

If you want to get everything all at once, I think the RCBS kits are a good buy, although I do not especially like their case trimmer and their powder measure, which they include in the kit.

You definitely need a good loading scale. I've had a RCBS 505 loading scale for almost 20 years, and I recommend it highly.

[ 07-11-2002, 19:20: Message edited by: LE270 ]

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
I'll agree with Lightnin to the extent that obtaining a Forster Co-Ax should be an ultimate objective. However, if cash is an issue, get the Redding Boss Pro-Pak now (it's a great kit, even comes with a set of dies), and later add a Co-Ax to your set-up. You could keep the Boss press for things the Co-Ax doesn't do so well...such as pulling bullets.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Natchez has a great price on the RCBS kit ($229). This is what I started with 10 years ago and still use most of it today. http://search.cartserver.com/search/search.cgi?cartid=a-7002&category=Reloading&maxhits=20&keywords=RC09367
You will not regret this purchase. [Smile]

Good Reloading!

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sawblade - I would shy away from Lyman reloading dies and presses. Their loading equipment wasn't the best 40 years ago and they haven't improved. One of the few things I think they make the best of is their powder measure.

The CHEAPEST option would be to catch a gunshow and pick yourself up a good used RCBS Jr. Press.
These are good, strong presses which will load almost anything.

It would help us help YOU better if you gave us an idea what sort of cartridges you will be loading for. I'm not much of a fan of turret presses either. They have some serious built-in weakness in the design and don't really speed you up that much at any rate. They are kind of a joke for my money.

But as others have suggested, if you stick with RCBS or Redding, you won't go very wrong.

Let us know what you'll be loading. [Smile]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<atlasmlc>
posted
I've got a RCBS Jr. press that I'd be happy to sell you. I may have a trimmer and measure as well. Of course it is all used, but its all in good shape and most of it, if not all is fully warrantied even as used.
Send me an email if you are interested.

mlambeth@sbcglobal.net

<RickMD>
posted
Avoid Lyman dies like the plague... RCBS is very good and Redding is better,

<Sawblade>
posted
No pistol reloading. Only standard rifle stuff like .308, 7mm-08, 6.5 X 55, etc. Sorry, should have told you that to begin with!

One more question. How do you guys store your powder? My reloading set up will be in a utility room in my garage (no AC). It gets pretty hot and humid here in South Carolina. Would it be best to store powder and primers in the house in a climate controlled environment? Would the heat and humidity have any adverse effect on powder and primers?

Thanks!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sawblade,

I have lived in Florida and Texas. Believe me it gets hot and humid as hell in both places. I store my powder and primers in my garage in a locked wooden cabinet. In all my years of reloading I have never had a powder turn or primer go bad. Those things are more stable than most people realize. Just don't store them in an air tight cabinet.

quote:
Originally posted by Sawblade:

One more question. How do you guys store your powder? My reloading set up will be in a utility room in my garage (no AC). It gets pretty hot and humid here in South Carolina. Would it be best to store powder and primers in the house in a climate controlled environment? Would the heat and humidity have any adverse effect on powder and primers?

Thanks!!

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sawblade:
How do you guys store your powder? My reloading set up will be in a utility room in my garage (no AC). It gets pretty hot and humid here in South Carolina. Would it be best to store powder and primers in the house in a climate controlled environment? Would the heat and humidity have any adverse effect on powder and primers?

Does your house have a basement that is cooler than the upstairs? If so, I'd recommed that you store your powder and primers in that cooler basement.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sawblade, for the type reloading you are doing an RCBS Jr. press would be ideal.

I've lived most of my life in very arid climates and not had a problem with primers or powder going bad. But now that I live where I DO HAVE considerable humidity at times, I keep all my PRIMERS in the house. Due to the packaging, primers are not really totally "sealed" by a long shot, whereas powders are pretty well sealed.

Modern smokeless powders and primers CAN be safely stored almost anywhere and if you have plenty of room and no big thing, I personally wouldn't have any qualms about storing it in the house. Half the reloaders in the world have their set-up somewhere in the house and all their primers and powders in there as well.

I respect and do not doubt the fellows who say they keep there's in the garage in spite of humid climates. Most likely this would work fine...but IF you have a choice...the above would be MY choice. Having powder etc in the house is NOT like putting a gallon can of gasoline or paint thinner in the house. Your wife alread has several things under her kitchen sink that are a greater fire hazard than gun powder. It won't explode unless heavily confined...in case you didn't know this. A powder canister with the lid screwed firmly down does NOT equal "tightly confined" either.

Black Powder is another story and I wouldn't even put that stuff in my garage.

ANY reloading press will work, Sawblade. Even the little hand tools. But just remember they are slower and whatever mechanical advantage and power your reloading press does not possess...YOU will have to make up for it with muscle power. Cheap presses can actually cause a lot of hard work whereas a good press (well mounted) is a delight to work with. [Smile] Avoid any form of "C" press and go for an "O" press. Always twice as strong. [Cool]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Pecos on this one. If money is an issue, look for some used equipment from RCBS and you'll be set. Ebay is one source, as well as gunamerica.com and other places.
I've used an RCBS Junior press for 30 years now and it still works like new for loads from .17 Remington to .375 Mag and just about everything in between.
I've bought used equipment over the years as good deals came up and saved a tremendous amount of money on equipment, scales, dies, and other stuff. For instance, the kits come with an RCBS 5-0-5 scale, which is a good, but not great scale. I used mine for a few years, then found a 10-10 scale at a gunshow in new condition for $40 and jumped on it. I find new dies at gunshows for $10-15 all the time even in Reddings, which are quickly becoming my favorite dies- barely ahead of RCBS.
When you get serious and start loading more, you can give the stuff you have to a good shooting buddy and buy the RCBS Rockchucker kit and be set for life. It can be pretty addictive and you'll soon be like the rest of us and need a whole room to store all our miscellaneous reloading stuff.
Another recommendation- go out and buy several of the latest reloading manuals you can get your hands on before starting to buy any equipment. You will learn an awesome amount of useful information to help you in your search for equipment and in starting out in your new hobby. Besides, some of the goofy stuff we talk about on this board might make more sense to you once you have pictures to refer to. [Wink] - Sheister

Posts: 385 | Location: Hillsboro, Oregon | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote