New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Which tumbler is better ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a midway vibrator that I bought shortly after they brought them out. It was recalled several years ago because of some sort of fire hazard???? I have used it not quite daily but very often since then. Its got to be approaching 10 years old or older. If it were to die tonight, I'd order up another.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just bought a Lyman Turbo Tumbler. It comes with a cover to use for separating brass from media. I bought RCBS walnut media. It comes with two bowls, one large, one small. You have to unplug it from the wall (no switch). They make them in both 110V and 220V. It works great, cleaning recently used cartridges in an hour or so, and ancient brass only takes about 4 hours to get a like new look. I use two batches of media, one with polishing compound for the shot brass, and plain media to clean off the lube after sizing. (helps keep the primer pockets clean too) It works great. The frankford arsenal cleaners are basically the same as Lyman (orange), RCBS(green), and Lee(red), but blue. These area all loud vibratory tumblers and should be used in a separate room (garage). If you wanna spend some $$$, get the RCBS real tumbing tumbler, that turns like a rock cleaner. It is slower, but quiet.

Posts: 28 | Location: USA, Georgia for now | Registered: 16 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
I am about to buy a tumbler (being rather newbie in this art of reloading ) , and since I am not an USA resident, F&H costs is a considerable factor (almost triplicate the product own price) so I want to buy a good tumbler ...

I ve been suggested to buy the Vibra Shine (Model VS-20) or Graf & son �s own model (graf vibratory tumbler) but couldn�t make up my decision yet ...

Has anyone used any of them ? Suggestion and/or recommendations are welcome !

Thank you all in advance

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
It's hard to go wrong with any of the tumblers. Here are some things to consider, nonetheless:

1. If you like the RCBS units, then look at the Hornady models. They are the same and cost less, except that the Hornady's do not have a switch on the cord (unplug from wall to turn off).

2. The Midway tumbler (now called Frankford Arsenal, for some reason) had a manufacturer's recall a while back. So, the new ones are likely to have the bugs worked out now, and are that much less likely to give problems, as a result.

3. The electrical system where you live. Are U.S. plugs compatible? Voltages?

Good luck.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you dont reload tons of ammo you might want to consider a Thumlers Tumbler. Its basically a rock tumbler and it will last forever under normal conditions. I have a smaller one called the Model T which I can put 50 243 cases in fairly comfortably. They make larger models with bigger drums and its a real tumbler, not a vibrator. I have had it for about 15 years now and it works like it did when it was new. If you get one you would be well advised to get a few of the drive belts because they are cheap and will break every few years. They also make vibratory tumbles that Im sure are top quality. I have a model T but the AR2 is very similar but actually a step up from mine and it will run 2 drums at the same time which would be nice if you want to polish to different calibers simultaneously. http://www.therockshed.com/tumbler2.html

I have ordered supplies from this dealer and have had very good results and they ship reasonably. You can also watch ebay, I saw a brand new model T go for around 50 bucks about a month ago and you can pick up used ones quite reasonably also. I dont know if the vibrating tumblers are noisy but my rotary one is very quite, the only noise it makes is from the shells in the drum.

one of us
Picture of Deutsch-Drahthaar
posted Hide Post
Thumbler Tumbler! Low, Low, Noise...Durable. Doesn't shake the shit out of your bench or need to be bolted down so you can move it if need be. I use crushed walnut shells, I love mine.

Posts: 112 | Location: Fairbanks, Alaska | Registered: 25 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You didn't mention the Lymans but their Turbo Tumblers are pretty effective. My Turbo 600 isn't quiet, though. I usually like to put it in a separate room from the rest of the family while it's going.

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote