one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
H-4895 From 58.6 grains to 73.9 grains
Remington 9-1/2M Primer

But I prefer:
IMR-4064 From 61.2 grains to 73.4 grains
Remington 9-1/2M Primer

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys.

I am heading out to Canada shortly with Bison/Moose/Whitetail/Wolf on the menu. I will be taking my BRNO .375 with me and have a supply of 270gn Barnes X bullets. I tend towards H4895 for my medium bore loads. Any thoughts or loads for this combination would be much appreciated. I have no experience of the Barnes bullets - but believe they just 'might' do the job!

Thanks in advance.

Ian

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
I have only been able to find one bull moose who was willing to participate in my 270gr Barnes X bullet test program.

My load used RL 15 and was about 2770fps from a 25 inch barreled Brno.

When bullet met moose, it was a high lungshot at perhaps 25 yards. Lots of blood and pieces of lung all over the ground at the shooting place, exit hole about like a 20ga shotgun slug. I think one rib was hit, but it might have been two (I have pictures somewhere but can't find them!). There was not that much bloodshot meat though.

Predictably, the moose died.

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I recently loaded some 270 and 300 gr. Barnes, for my trip to Africa. I realy liked the 300 gr. Triple shock, I wound up useing 69 grs. of Varget (WARNING START WITH 10% LESS). I could get 2500 fps with 100% density and MOA groups. With some of the other powders used you have to realy compress the load to get the 2500 fps I wanted for Buffalo. I just don't feel comfortable with loads that are heavily compressed

Posts: 63 | Location: Fla. | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote