New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fixing a die
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a set of RCBS .270 Winchester dies. I am having trouble with the sizing die. It will not reliably hold the depriming pin in the die. How does one fix that?

KJK

Posts: 692 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's a u-tube video on "changing the decaping pin" that shows how to get the thing apart. I think most of my dies are old enough that they moslty have straight pins that are held in place by a collet pinching them in place.

If you take it apart and can't get it to work right (as in the hole is too large); I've always found RCBS to have first class customer service. Just sent it to them to fix.

EDIT: You might drop them an email and request help.

Posts: 286 | Registered: 25 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
try grinding some gription onto the stem.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Could be a very simple solution.

Take the stem out.

Turn the screw that holds the decapping pin off completely.

You will see the slot where the pin goes in.

Get a pair of pliers and squeeze it a bit.

Put the pin back, and use two pairs of pliers to tighten the pin holder.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68798 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I presume you are meaning the 'headless' RCBS depriming pin is pulling free from the stem collet? Maybe the cases you are using have undersize flash holes which cause the pin to stick in them and pull out of the stem collet?

Posts: 3914 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
Since there are two sizes of headless decapping pins, make sure you have the correct one. ( Large and small primer )
A small in a large pin holder will not tighten down.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 448 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rapidrob:
Since there are two sizes of headless decapping pins, make sure you have the correct one. ( Large and small primer )

I guess I assumed that RCBS would know which pin to put in which die. Big Grin But just for the heck of it I took a pin from my 30-06 dies and one from my 300 Win Mag dies and tried them in this .270 die, same thing happens. By the way, hole is squeezed shut. won't go any further.

KJK

Posts: 692 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kolo-Pan:
quote:
Originally posted by Rapidrob:

I guess I assumed that RCBS would know which pin to put in which die. Big Grin But just for the heck of it I took a pin from my 30-06 dies and one from my 300 Win Mag dies and tried them in this .270 die, same thing happens. By the way, hole is squeezed shut. won't go any further.

The large RCBS decapping pin is 0.070" in diameter and the small size 0.060".

Check your pin size. If the hole is squeezed shut then you must have the wrong pin size. Shit happens even with reputable manufacturers.

Posts: 3914 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
This problem does arise, even with the right size pin.

I solve it the way I explained above.

Works every time.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68798 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another solution: I use a Lee Universal Decapping Die on almost all my brass any more. I get the primer out and run them through the cleaner before they touch my dies.

I've done a LOT of mil. brass as well as regular brass; never broke a pin or had it pull out.

Posts: 286 | Registered: 25 September 2007Reply With Quote