Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Clean Handgun Powder
 Login/Join

posted
Of the powders that you use in your reloading, what is the cleanest for you for loads that run the gammet of, say, light plinkers to full power rounds.

I have used Unique, Blue Dot, HS-7, and a couple others. I was just wondering what you guys liked. I load for 38 special, 357 mag, 40 S&W, 10mm, 45 acp, and 45 colt.

My brother likes AA#5 for 40 and 45 acp. I am looking for input on Accurate Arms, Alliant, Hodgdon, IMR, and Winchester powders.

Just curious, and it may lead me to some new powder choices to try.

Bill

Posts: 5 | Location: Eureka, CA | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 3 powders I use the most for clean burning in the calibers you mention are Winchester Super Field, IMR 700X, and Hodgon Clays (just plain Clays).

Rob

Posts: 34 | Location: VA, USA | Registered: 12 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BigRx
posted Hide Post
American Select is real clean and the cowboy shooters like it.

BigRx

Posts: 208 | Location: Idaho Rockies | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have loaded just about every handgun cartridge commonly available and have to say that Unique has been the best performing powder in a wide range of applications. The only downside is that it doesn't meter as consistently as some of the other powders that are available. I do use some 231 in auto pistol calibers and Universal Clays is a close runner up to Unique.

I don't know why some folks are so concerned about their powders being "clean burning". I think some of powder company marketing efforts are to blame. I pick my powders based on performance and if they leave a little soot behind no big deal. I don't clean them every time I shoot them and have never had a problem