Find
Notify
Tools

Lyman powder Dispenser
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi guys

I just picked up a used Lyman and am wodering if there is something online for an instruction manual for it. It is the older one that I got. I believe ther is an upgrade kit you can get for them?
Thanks Greg

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/sc...pdf/LyC_SM_PM_55.pdf

There are a couple of drop tubes originally provided with the measure. There are a 7/8" x 14 threaded adaptor and a reservoir baffle available.

Don't over-torque the body's mounting bracket; the casting can warp.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been on a mission the last couple of years collecting Lyman 55's. Big Grin
They aren't the best design, but I get a kick out of bringing them back to life. Once set, they do a good job. But I do the thro lite, trickle up powder management, so no real issues with inaccurate powder charges getting in loaded rounds.
I just gave one to my youngest son who WILL start loading his OWN ammo...His Father is tired of feeding him.. jumping

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe Fasteel is referring to Lyman's powder scale\dispenser that runs on household current...DPS I, II, and now III.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMB:
They aren't the best design, but I get a kick out of bringing them back to life.

Don, since I've sent this thread down the wrong path, wonder if something might be salvaged by going completely off-topic.

I have an old 55 that has a hard spot in its actuation, and the three part adjustment is locked up (corrosion?) although the the entire block can be adjusted. I've been of the opinion that the casting is warped, but that's not a given. I wonder if you might lend an experienced opinion and suggestions? Many thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Winchester 69:
quote:
They aren't the best design, but I get a kick out of bringing them back to life.

Don, since I've sent this thread down the wrong path, wonder if something might be salvaged by going completely off-topic.

I have an old 55 that has a hard spot in its actuation, and the three part adjustment is locked up (corrosion?) although the the entire block can be adjusted. I've been of the opinion that the casting is warped, but that's not a given. I wonder if you might lend an experienced opinion and suggestions? Many thanks.

I take all of the measures completely apart and CLEAN everything. That's all I can suggest at long distance. Several of the 55's I bought had crud built up on the OD of the brass cylinder that rotates and hindered easy rotating. In addition, the adjustment sliding mechanism had to be taken apart and polished with fine sand paper to make the course and fine adjustment slides go back and forth to make powder settings. If I could see your measure, and take it apart, I could show you what I did to get them back to near new working condition.
They aren't difficult to tear down and clean up, just time and a little effort.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
there should be a lyman online manual and if it is a dps-ii they have an upgrade to a iii.
but basically you turn it on let it warm-up takes about a half hour.
then you put in your weight and push the top left button to dispense.
i like to put a powder drop in the pan and let it trickle the last couple of grains in.
fill the case put a drop in the pan and push the button seat your bullet while it weighs the nextcharge.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Several of the 55's I bought had crud built up on the OD of the brass cylinder that rotates and hindered easy rotating. In addition, the adjustment sliding mechanism had to be taken apart and polished with fine sand paper to make the course and fine adjustment slides go back and forth to make powder settings.

Thanks Don. You've given exactly what I asked for. I'll disassemble and see what gives. I'll let some B'Laster PB help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Winchester 69:
quote:
Several of the 55's I bought had crud built up on the OD of the brass cylinder that rotates and hindered easy rotating. In addition, the adjustment sliding mechanism had to be taken apart and polished with fine sand paper to make the course and fine adjustment slides go back and forth to make powder settings.

Thanks Don. You've given exactly what I asked for. I'll disassemble and see what gives. I'll let some B'Laster PB help.

Win 69,

One more thing. I lubricate all moving mating parts inside the measure with powdered graphite for smooth operation, or powdered Molly; after cleaning the parts up well.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
One more thing. I lubricate all moving mating parts inside the measure with powdered graphite for smooth operation, or powdered Molly; after cleaning the parts up well.

Check. And, thanks again.