THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Is it okay to use magnum small pistol primers in .223 reloads?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is it okay to use magnum small pistol primers in .223 reloads?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is it okay to use magnum small pistol primers in .223 reloads?

Seeing how there's no small rifle primers anywhere, I'm wondering if anyone has ever used magnum small pistol primers in .223 reloads?

Hack

Posts: 103 | Location: Columbus, Georgia | Registered: 08 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
I've used lots of them in low-pressure Blue Dot loads but they'll likely pierce and leak with full-snort charges. Not OK for normal 223 loads.

Mark

"Greatness without Grace is mere Vanity" - Hank the Cowdog

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
They are fine for lower pressure loads, say in the 40 to 45,000 PSI range... higher, they will pierce...

If you use powder like H 380, H 414, W 750, 4350, RL 19, RL 22, 4831 in a 223, they will also be low pressure enough with bullets 55 and 60 grains or less...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,

Get this - I just read where someone called Federal and was told that Fed Mag Sm Pistol Primers were the same primers as Sm Rifle, just packaged differently - I'm gonna call Federal and see if its true.

Hack

Posts: 103 | Location: Columbus, Georgia | Registered: 08 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just called Federal (1 800 322 2342, Option 4) and left a voicemail message, they're supposed to call me back.

Then I went online at
http://www.federalpremium.com/...pany/contact_us.aspx
And am awaiting their reply.

I'll let you all know when I know.

Hack

one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless it clears states in some reputable loading data for you to do this........NO.

why would you want to anyway ?

Do you have the pressure tracing equipment required to determine how close to the edge you can get.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
skb, the reason I want to is because I have 1000s of sm mag pistol primers and can't get any sm rifle primers anywhere. I'm primarily a pistol case reloader, been for 35 yrs, I have lots of sm mag pistol primers.

Of course, I don't have the pressure testing equipment, but I can charge at the minimum, and lower, levels.

I've already tried 18g of IMR 4198 (under minimum) and they were dead on at 75 yds - the distance my eyes can see a 3 inch bullseye easily.

I bought a BSA 3x9 scope for it, but it is still "In transit". With it I should be able to reach way out there.

one of us
posted Hide Post
doesn't sound like a good idea to me; large and small, rifle and pistol primers etc. are made for different purposes. they are not only of different sizes, but also the primer cups are of different degrees of hardness.

using a pistol primer for a rifle would produce, at best, unpredictable results including the firing pin punching right through the primer cup. at worst, you could have yourself a major problem.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I doubt the SP mag primers being much, if any, less pressure-resistant than the SR regular primers.

It is pretty simple to work up toward a full pressure load, watching the results with the fired primer as you go. The primer will show a ridging around the pin indentation before it will actually pierce, so as you start up the ladder, quit and back off a little if you find a tell-tale ridge around the indentation. My bet is that you can push your .223's to full velocity without finding such a ridge, much less suffer a pierced primer.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think it's a bad idea and wouldn't do it. They are still making primers by the billions and in between hoarding runs you should be able to find plenty of small rifle primers available..................................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
CCi NO 41 primer for autos No it is not a good idea to use a pistol primer in a rifle. Have you heard of slam fires in auto loading rifles?

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornSounds like, if you're not using a semi auto, you do not have a super strong fireing pin spring, your fireing pin is well radiused, you are useing reduced PRESSURE loads, the radial clearance in the bolt face to the fireing pin is not too great and the primer cup metal is not too thin or soft you got a chance. fishingroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay, Gary from Federal called me back.

He said NO, I should not use anything in 223 reloads except small rifle or mag small rifle primers - and definitely not small pistol primers of any kind.

He said the risk of slam fires and/or the risk of piercing the thin skin of a small pistol primer is why.

So, like many of you told me, it's a resounding "NO" to using small magnum pistol primers in 223 reloads.

He didn't say anything about reduced loads and I didn't ask. If you want to pursue it, the Federal's phone number is above this reply.

Thought I'd let you all know.

Hack