New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oil dents not ironed out by shooting
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am curious about something I just saw in my handloads.

I resized (and then loaded) some once fired factory brass in 7mm Rem Mag (Federal cases).

During resizing I got some oil dents on the shoulders of the cases...nothing unusual about them.
I then loaded them with 62 grains RL 19, WW Magnum LR primers, and 150 grain Barnes TSX bullets, for a velocity of 2960 fps. Not a particularly hot load, but not a starting load either.

What surprised me was that of the cases with oil dents, about half still had small(er) dents which you could see when you looked very closely.

I'm not worried at all about the dents (i.e. they won't affect accuracy), but I am surprised that the pressures inside the case didn't iron out the dents.

In fact, this is the first time I've seen full power loads not eliminate oil dents.

Any explanations of why this occured?

Thanks,
Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
ConfusedYou may just have had lube left inside those dents. coffeeroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bartsche,

That's a good thought, but unlikely.

After sizing, the cases were then washed in hot detergent water, dried, tumbled, and then washed one last time.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N. Garrett:
Bartsche,

That's a good thought, but unlikely.

After sizing, the cases were then washed in hot detergent water, dried, tumbled, and then washed one last time.Garrett

shockerWow! Garrett, You must have the most sanitary cases of anyone I know of. holycowroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
your a little low on charge weight. May need more of a full charge to iron out all the dents.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote