THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    3 1/2 Inch Hybrid Shotshell/ # 4 Buck And a Rifled Slug In the Same Shell at the Same

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

3 1/2 Inch Hybrid Shotshell/ # 4 Buck And a Rifled Slug In the Same Shell at the Same
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Howdy Fellas,
I was sitting Around Thinking Of A creative Load to Try Out for a 12 Gauge. I was thinking about combining a rifled slug not a sabot slug with #4 buck in the same shell, heres how I plan to do it. If I get a 3 1/2 inch hull and load the Dr. Eq. with Max Powder and then I put the plastic wad in, after that I fill the bottom of the shot cup with 1 oz. of #4 buckshot then I would place a piece of cardboard over the shot and place a 1 oz. rifled slug over it all. The total of the shot and slug equal 2 oz. which is what a normal 3 1/2 inch shell holds anyway. Im looking to get about 1300-1400 FPS. Do you guys think this is a safe loading plan? If It does work It would be pretty effective for home defense and big game because the slug would be the single projectile then the shot would spread after the slug hit. PLEASE GIVE ME ALL THE IMPUT YOU CAN GIVE././ IF YALL THINK IT WOULD BE SAFE I GOT ONE LOADED AND ILL TRY IT IN AN OLD SHOTGUN THAT IS MOUNTED ON SOMETHING.

Posts: 188 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 24 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't do it unless you have a long string tied to the trigger and you are behind a big tree.

I think that the slug's skirt (foster type) would be damaged upon firing and may end up plugging the barrel on its way out. Add to that the #4 buck is pretty small( .22" or .24") and would not cause much if any damage unless you were very close. And that is providing that this works as you hope it will.
You would be better off to alternate a slug load and a shot load in your magazine.
For home defense, load the gun with #7-1/2 shot and put some slugs in a buttstock shell carrier to use if you need them.

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Around the trap ranges around here, the trick that is well known is after loading a shell, you can use super glue with a small tip and insert it through the center of the crimp and squirt a dab in. According to carboard targets, it leaves a nice .15-.24 size hole right in the center of the pattern, depending on how much glue was used. It can be devasting to clay targets when you hit good and centered.

Posts: 115 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 07 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
I probably wouldn't load that load---but--email Ballistic Products and ask if they have any loads developed like that.

www.ballisticproducts.com

Good Hunting,

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote