New
Find
Notify
Tools

308 twist
 Login/Join

<ty>
posted
I have a kimber 308 that I was going to use for my elk rifle,I've tried 150 165 and 180 grain bullets none will shoot very good.So I checked the bbl twist it has a 1-15 twist.It shoots 110's very good but I dont need another varmint gun.
Is there anything I might try to make this shoot?
Or should I just rebarrel back to a 6.5 or 7x57
The action is a 96 swede?
Any help would be appreciated.

one of us
posted Hide Post
All the makers of .308's that I know use 1-12, or 1-10 inch twists. I'd say you are entitled to a new barrel from the maker. It is implied that it will handle factory .308 ammo when you buy a rifle. E

Posts: 1022 | Location: Placerville,CA,USA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some European rifles have a 1 in 11" twist for .308 rifles, are you sure it's really 1 in 15"?

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1:15 is a very odd twist for a .308 - is this a new rifle or did someone have a special barrel put on it for varminting? My slowest twist .308 barrel is a 1:13 Krieger for shooting the 155 Palma bullets. It also handles 175 matchkings real well. Slower than 1:13 though? I don't think you're going to see good accuracy with hunting weight bullets... Guy

Posts: 327 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
m700 pretty much covered it. A 1-13 twist is about perfect for the 155 gr Palma bullets, but a 1-15 would really only allow you to accurately use 150 gr and lighter bullets. At least in a 308. You can make up for twist with velocity (sometimes), but in a 308 you're at the bottom of the ladder, so to speak. I don't think this would be a factory barrel, more like something custom or custom shop. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<ty>
posted
Tha rifle was built by Kimber.It says on the bbl
Kimber of america inc Clackamas OR.I did the cleaning rod and patch,I marked a straight line down the rod,marked the line at the muzzle and then again at 1 twist,the measurment between the two lines was 15 inches.Is Kimber still in buisness?

<Reloader66>
posted
Try 125 or 130 grain bullets to see if it will shoot them. Deer being a thin skinned animal are easy to bring down. The 125 or 130 grain bullets should give you very good results taking deer. Most 308 rifles have 1 in 10" or 1 in 12" bore twists.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Never heard of 1-15 for 308, that has to be for
miniscule projectiles. 50 Grain bullet, anyone?

reloader-1

Posts: 270 | Location: Central Pa | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, Kimber of America is still in business. - Dan

one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
Some of the benchrest crowd use 1-15" to 1-18" for 122, 125 flatbase match bullets but I doubt Kimber was targeting that segment of the market.

I'd call to discuss matters with 'em.

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
<ty>
posted
Thanks for the info,I'll call kimber and see what they have to say

<eldeguello>
posted
A 1/15" twist in a .308 is certinly not in the realm of a standard barrel! I'd send it back to Kimber and get them to put a SAAMI-spec. barrel on it!!

<ty>
posted
I called Kimber today and talked to the custom shop.They said we did not build the rifle,we dont know anything about them,your on your own.And that was it end of conversation!
So much for customer service.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kimber has gone through a couple of reorganisations, perhaps your 96 is from a previous incarnation. - Dan