New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dakota Brass.....quality?...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone know who makes Dakota brass. Is it good brass.

A friend of mine is looking to do a 6.5 on the 7mm Dakota but is concerned about the quality of the brass.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When the Dakota cartridges first came out, the brass was made by A-Square. However, they ran into consistancy problems, so they switched to MAST (BELL brass). This was very good brass, and stronger (thicker) than the A-Square brass, so loading data was different for it. I don't know if MAST is still producing the brass or not. Somewhere I saw that they were trying to get Norma to produce it for them. One quick call to the company would answer the question for sure. I would not hesitate to use any of the Dakota brass, because everything they do is top notch.

Posts: 2852 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 September 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
A friend of mine got a .300 Dakota last summer, and bought 100 unprimed cases for it. This brass was very poor quality, especially considering its' high cost. The problems encountered were inconsistent neck wall thickness, dented shoulders, and varying diameter of primer pockets. (Some primers were very difficult to seat, others somewhat loose.) We experienced several primer pocket expansions due to failure of a case to release the bullets freely. We at first thought his rifle had a too-tight chamber neck, but discovered that the brass was too thick in several, but not all, of the case necks. It should not be necessary to ream the necks of new cases!! I didn't like this brass much!

one of us
posted Hide Post
If Norma takes over making brass for Dakota, I'll have one myself. [Wink]
At this time, brass for the 330 Dakota costs approx.4,5$ [Eek!] each here in Norway!! [Mad]

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had no problems with brass for a .416 Dakota. I have between 3 to 4 reloads on 60 cases with no issues.

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I do not know who makes their brass, but all the ones I have are of very good quality.

Posts: 68798 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Fellows eat your hearts out [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Norma is the one who is making the private brand brass and some ammo for DAKOTA [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] I'm not sure how long this affair has been going on.

I have bought brass from Dakota since I handload for a friend who has one. I gave dakota a creative proposal about shipping and they took it. It got here fast too

/ JOHAN

[ 07-11-2002, 22:28: Message edited by: JOHAN ]

<Tigar>
posted
Mike, I posted this earlier on another thread:
"I have a 300 Dakota - like the cartridge a lot, hate the brass. Here is what I've heard talking with Dakota a few times - last time was a few weeks ago. Bell/Mast used to make there brass, then they had Norma make some for the 7mm and 330 (no 300 ). The main problem with Norma etc, is they require such large orders that Dakota was reluctant to buy so much plus the prices fluctuate. Latest I heard was that a company that moved in across the street from them from CA (I think) called Jameson (sp) was making it.
I've been reluctant to try it - hoping someone else will spend their $ first and give a report. I spoke with Mr Jameson and he said something to the effect of "we're trying to make it as hard as the Norma brass". I'd rather by it from "the standard" than someone trying to reach the standard. I don't need a lot of brass and don't mind the cost too much, but it really irritates me how quickly the old stuff needed tossed and how much different it was in weight (10-20 grains). At that rate it takes probably 40 or more cases to get the life and consistency of 10 of Lapua quality. Hopefully this new stuff is decent."

Your friend's concern is warranted. I know at least for the 300 they've worked for months and months to have the new Mfg get it right and as of a couple months still didn't have it solved. Unfortunately the only opinions that should really matter now are from the people buying their brass just in the last month or two - from the new source. (Maybe they are still peddling some of the Norma stuff they had made for the 7mm 'til its gone). I'm curious too.