Find
Notify
Tools

264 WinMag - light bullet loads
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Old Dog
posted
My dilemma is simple. I want a very fast, very accurate load for a pre 64 Model 70 (26" barrel) for use on deer and antelope under 250 pounds for ranges from 20 yards to 450 yards that will open quickly for maximum shock but still give complete penetration. I would prefer a bullet of less than 130 grains to keep the speed up. Not much to ask, huh? Is there any bullet that you would recommend for this task?

With respect to powder, I'd always heard that H-870 was THE powder for the 264 Mag, but that was with the heavier bullets and they've discontinued it, anyway. Is there an ideal powder for light bullets in a 264 Win Mag? I've loaded for a number of cartridges, but never for a magnum and never for one as overbore as this. Does anyone have an opinion regarding an appropriate powder for this application?

Any and all informed opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! [Smile]

Posts: 163 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
So, you want to take a true F-1 car and run it in everything from 1/8th mile drags to the Baja 1000? And you expect it to win them all?

Loading data:
http://stevespages.com/264_1.html

My suggestion? Use a caliber for it's intended design...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Old Dog

I had good luck with the 120 gr sierra and IMR 4831.

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Old Dog
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your reply, Steve. I'm a little confused, though. What am I asking the 264 caliber to do that it is not intended or appropriate to do? Kill a small or medium size deer at 450 yards? Kill one at 20 yards? It seems to me that those tasks are quite compatible with the 264 caliber. I'm looking for a fast round to minimize sighting considerations and trying to find a bullet with an S.D. around 250 that is neither long or short for caliber, with expansion/penetration qualities between the Partition and the Ballistic Tip.

I'm sorry that you think that this is inappropriate, and assume that is why you did not address any of my questions, but I appreciate the link to your pages.

Posts: 163 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Old Dog
posted Hide Post
Ramrod, thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't really given the Sierra's much thought since I was afraid they would be too frangible at speeds over 3200fps, but I don't have any experience with them. What speeds do you run your at? I don't use IMR-4831 but I'm a big fan of H-4831sc. I thought about using that but thought it might be a tad fast for 264. What's the loading density for your IMR-4831 load? Thanks! [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Okay my .02 Been shootin the 264 for over 25 yrs. Got a stash of H870, Nosler 125 gr partitions & old Nosler Solid Base 120s. For mule deer and below, I use the 125 or 120 gr weight. The old 120s have failed on me so when hunting I prefer the 125 partition but the 120 Solid Base will shoot inside .5 inch so I hang on to them for this reason. If I'm hunting where I have reasonable assurance of enough time on a good rest, the 120 gr will pole axe mulies and antelope. If I'm stalking and might not have a good rest and or enough time to precisely place the shot, then I use the partition. On elk, I've had great success with the old Hornady 140 gr & H870. Since my 264 is the "meat rifle" in my collection, I only shoot it a few times a year so figure my "stash" will last the rest of my life. If you want to start fresh, use the 125 gr partition.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Old Dog
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all who responded in an attempt to help. Sorry to take so long to get back but I've been in the woods since last Wednesday. Lots of good information here. I especially appreciate the IMR and H-4831 loads as well as the 125 and 120 grain bullet recommendations. I'll look into the Groove Bullets. too!

Just a quick note of explanation regarding my bullet weight choice. I'm looking for a deer bullet. I'm not going to hunt elk. I don't need bags of penetration with small to medium sized deer. I've always found that all things being equal (including bullet construction), bullets with sectional densities around .250 seem to be most often identified with modern deer rounds in most calibers. A 125 grain bullet in .264 will have a sectional dendity superior to both 150 and 165 grain bullets in .308, 140 grain bullets in .284, the 130 grain bullets in the .270 and the 100 and 115 grain bullets in .257. That sounds like it's right in the heart of the deer bullet mainstream. When I asked about light bullet loads in the .264, I did so to distinguish them from the 140 grain loads, which I consider more appropriate for elk. I don't consider a bullet with a sectional density of .256 to be light for caliber. I'm trying to avoid extremes and develop a nice, middle weight bullet load with a flat trajectory for "beanfield" shooting out of treestands in the South, which is where I hunt.

I agree with Steve, in that I always take multiple guns to camp, as do most of my friends. Half the fun is show and tell with the latest acquisitions. However, I only take one gun hunting at a time. My shot is just as likely to be at 20 yards as it is at 450 yards. The deer is just as likely to be a 100 pound doe a sit is a 250 pound buck (I wish!) But I have to prepare for one. I guess I could spook the deer at 20 yards and hope he runs into the field until he opens the distance to 200 yards or so, but I'd rather ask for first hand experience on bullet performance up close. I know that the .264 WinMag is not the ideal tool for a close shot, but everything is a compromise and I have to believe that there is a bullet out there that will not come completely unglued at an impact speed of 3300fps.

Thanks again for all the great suggestions. I'll post back when I find a combination that I think will do the job!