THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    100 gr. Western Tool and Copper Open Point Expanding

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

100 gr. Western Tool and Copper Open Point Expanding
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I recently purchased 300 of these bullets on AR Classified. I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with them. I used them in the early 1950 in my .270 and really liked them for deer but never used them in the 25 caliber. I recall Jack O'Connor used them in the .270 often.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42015 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm, no response?? Then it dawned on me most of you were not around when that bullet was on the market! Eeker Damn gett'en old ain't for sissies. I used them in m 270 in the late early 1950s and they were a hammer on Mule deer, a little soft but deadly.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 42015 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Wish I had an opinion for you Ray but I was born in 1961. That doesn't make me a kid but I have no experience with that bullet.
I would load them up see if they shoot and start killing Deer with them.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray, you know I am the same age as you. Never used any, but Elmer Keith used a lot of them and really liked them.
wish I could be more help.

Ddon

One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I picked up a box of WT&C .308 172 grain bullets. I remember JOC used to say these were one of his bullets of choice. He never figured out where they came from but he surmised they were made in a prison in California. How or why he came to this possibility, I have no idea.
I also picked up a 50 count box of old Western .308 180 grain Match bullets, probably from the late '40's to late '50's. I think they were used in AMU loading in .300 H&H and the rarely seen .300 AMU (think .300 H&H Ackley Improved. They are FMJ and the points are sharp as an icepick.
I haven't yet been able to force myself to break the seals and load any of these old "treasures" in any of my .300 H&Hs.

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
Mannlicher Collectors Assn
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
why? they are just old bullets,
the price ain't goin up on them.
shoot a deer with them or whatever.
your wife/kids will just sell them for the $3.00 price tag on the box.

Posts: 4989 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Not sure about that Lamar.
Some old bullets may actually go up in value from a collectors standpoint.
Yes shooting them may be the right thing to do but if they are rare and someone is looking for them then their value does actually go up.
I have a big quantity of "Sisk .224 49 grain" bullets all new in their sealed boxes made in the late 1940's. I shot a bunch of them but can assure you they are worth more than what I paid for them, so yes they did go up in value.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have no doubt that I could get a pretty penny for these bullets in their pristene clean and original boxes at any gunshow..

One mans old bullets is another mans treasure..I think grandmaw told me that! beer

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120