Find
Notify
Tools

223 twist ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I got a new barrel for my mod 12 Savage, it's a
223 with 1-14 twist. I think the light bullit's should be my starting point,this make
since?
Thanks Aaron

Mausers-When you care enough to shoot the best

Posts: 233 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, you may begin to see stability problems with bullets heavier than 60 or 65 grains.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I think I'll try some 50's first.

Posts: 233 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why would you choose a 1-14 for a 223????? You have severely limited the cartridge's long range potential. You will be shooting 52 grain Sierra's and lighter. I doubt you will be able 55 grain and heavier. 1-8 is my favorite but a 1-9 or 1-7 would be great too! 1-14 is a decent 220 Swift twist.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1620 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well the Why is because it was on sale really cheap and I wanted to try it out with cast some day. In the meantime I thougt I would try it with jacketed also, already have other twist in other rifles but that Savage is just sooo easy to change barrels on!
Aaron

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good for You Aron.
Kauko. tu2

Posts: 171 | Location: Finland | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of doctorxring
posted Hide Post

The Sierra 63 semi-point is a good bullet.
They will stabilize in a 1:14 twist.

Happiness is a tight group

Posts: 1524 | Location: Don't Mess With Texas | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
3006va--I have a Win mod 70 in .223 whatever the twist is--cast dont work in it. Jacketed great but many combos of cast no luck. Same bullet the RCBS 58 grainer work great in .222's and 22-250.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might be surprised at a heavier bullet like a 63 gr. working with that twist in that caliber. Still, a hotter load yielding a significant fps increase will work to stabilize a bullet like a faster barrel twist. The down side is that you burn up throats a lot faster too.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the responses. I have from 45 to 64 gr so I'll try em all and go from there.
Aaron

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot cast out of a AR-15 in 223. It was plenty accurate to 100 yds; 5 shot sub-dime sized groups. There were two issues with it; one that doesn't apply to your bolt gun is finding a powder that had enough oomph to cycle the action without over powering the cast bullet and causing a bunch of leading.

The second issue that you will most likely encounter is having to seat the bullet so deep into the case that the gas check is below the neck. I doubt that you would want your throat so long as to accomodate the cast bullet seated with the gas check still inside the neck.

That 1-14 theoretically should be a wonderful choice with cast. I shot them in a 1-7!! I used IMR-4227, but you won't be as limited as I was since you have no gas system to operate.

If you get tired of messing around with that barrel as a 223, you can rechamber to 220 Swift and switch it on and off in a different 110 with standard bolt face, i.e. 243, 308, 30-06 etc.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1620 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMO slower twists are all you need for varmint guns.My CZ .223 527 is 1:12.According to Nosler their 60gr Partition is the longest bullet that will properly stabilize with this twist and that's plenty enough for varmints.In a Military/Law enforcement gun the faster twist is the way to go.For really long shots at varmints I'd go with with something between the .243 through 257 Webby.They're all superior to any .22 for reach/bucking the wind plus they can handle medium size game as a bonus.

Posts: 369 | Location: Adirondacks | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Not_Infringed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 14/04/2010 23:00
I got a new barrel for my mod 12 Savage, it's a
223 with 1-14 twist. I think the light bullit's should be my starting point,this make
since?
Thanks Aaron

Start by using the Greenhill twist formula to find the correct bullet LENGTH.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"All our liberties are due to men who, when their conscience has compelled them, have broken the laws of the land."
-- William Kingdon Clifford

Posts: 65 | Location: KC, MO | Registered: 17 March 2010Reply With Quote