New
Find
Notify
Tools

RL 17 vs. Norma URP in 30.06
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone compared accuracy / velocity with Norma URP in 30.06 with Barnes TTSX 165 and 180 gn ?
Would appreciate any advice, good loads etc.
My barrel is 24 inch, 1/10 inch twist.
Can't currently obtain RL 17 here in NZ but Norma URP is available.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2091 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can't currently obtain RL 17 here in NZ but Norma URP is available

If one can't get RL17 why wouldn't you develop a load for the URP and use that.

Personally I would use what I could get and not worry about the comparison

Posts: 19621 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Personally I would use what I could get and not worry about the comparison

Fair comment, and I may decide to do that.
If possible I would like to duplicate my RL 17 load, if possible with URP, and am hopeful replies here might point me in the right direction.

Posts: 2091 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you can get data from the norma site

Posts: 1102 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
you can get data from the norma site

Yep, checked that. IIRC for Norma and a couple of other projectile brands ?
Interested in users experiences with Barnes TTSX 165 / 180 gn.loads

one of us
posted Hide Post
i have got pressure data for both NORMA URP and it does no even compare to R17
I used MRP for years, its the best of the best for the 06, and then R17 came along and i feel its slightly better then MRP...gives slightly higher vel and one does not have the powder compression issue 57 gns of R17 gives me 2925 with the 180 and 54 gns gives me 2720 with the 200 partition

Norma MRP is a far better powder then URP....i was getting 2880 with a 180 partition and 2720 with a 200 partition and killed a truck load of game animals ...Brown Bear Leopard Sambar Hog deer zebra...the list just goes on
So if you cant get R17 just see if you can get MRP...you wont regret it, i promise!!!

Daniel

Posts: 1488 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of interest the Norma reloading manual shows URP out performing MRP in the 30-06 with some 180 gr bullets...go figure.

For example, with the 180 Nosler partition max for URP is 2763 whereas its 2654 for MRP.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Daniel,
Appreciate your advice, thanks.
Sadly, can't get Norma MRP either. Wanting to develop loads for Barnes TTSX 165 & 180 gn. Any suggestions on where I might turn to next based on your experience ? I have to accept I may be moving further from duplicating a RL 17 load than I wanted, but want to try something. One of the reasons I looked at URP was due to the Norma manual info noted by AIU above.
Cheers
Grant

one of us
posted Hide Post
Have you considered or do you have access to H4350? Made in Australia as AR2209 (I think) all three of my 30-06s love this load which is max in the Barnes reloading manual.

168 TTSX fueled by 55.5 grains H4350-gives over 2800 FPS in all three of my rifles.

168 TTSX has a different ogive than the 165 grain TTSX and is designed for 30-06 type cartridges. The 165 TTSX is designed for the 300 WSM (short mags). You can read this on Barnes web site under FAQs.

Posts: 452 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sep,
Yep, I've got plenty of AR2209 / H4350 and you have me thinking I should try this with the 168 TTSX.
So far the particular '06 I want to develop loads for has not shot so well with either the 165 gn or 180 gn TTSX propelled by AR2209. Maybe the 168 gn TTSX might work...?
Another 30.06 of mine ( Tikka T3 ) shoots brilliantly with the 165 gn TTSX over RL 15, so I guess those projectiles go well in some but not in others...
Thanks for your suggestion

one of us
posted Hide Post
i started with the 180 gn nosler and shot everything with it, and then for some unkown reason started useing the 200 gn partition from time to time, and as the years went on , i started to use it more and more , till i changed over to the 200 gn partition for everything, as i was getting such great results...hits a lot harder then all the 150/165 s, and performs just as well on light game animals as the lighter proj

Daniel

Posts: 1488 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been working up some loads with Norma URP. Now happy with two loads that shoot nicely in a couple of my 30.06 rifles. These groups are typical of what these loads will consistently shoot.
No, it aint the equivalent of RL 17 which can give 50 - 100 fps more without high pressure signs, and which I would use if I could get it, but no complaints with Norma URP. These loads are perfectly adequate for my hunting.
The pictured groups were shot over a bench at 100 yards. I use Norma cases. The ruler measures mm and cm, not inches.
https://drive.google.com/drive...5UWhPb2s?usp=sharing

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Of interest the Norma reloading manual shows URP out performing MRP in the 30-06 with some 180 gr bullets...go figure. For example, with the 180 Nosler partition max for URP is 2763 whereas its 2654 for MRP

I think you run out of room for MRP with longer bullets. URP is probably pressure limited MRP space limited. So how much do you want to compress MRP.

QL does have RL17 and URP burn rates close together.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think you run out of room for MRP with longer bullets

Yep, that has been my experience with long mono-metals in 30.06 . RL 17 removed this limitation to higher fps / flatter trajectory for 180 gn projectiles. Of powders available to me currently URP is probably the next best thing. With the slower powders I tried just couldn't get any better than insipid velocities with the limit on possible charges. I don't like heavily compressing charges. Of faster powders RL15 is excellent with 165 gn Barnes TTSX but not so exciting with 180 gn Barnes TTSX. 180 gn TTSX accuracy is fantastic but at fps 2650 approx. There is room in the case for higher charge weights but in my rifles accuracy fell off markedly.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
This won't answer your question. Looking at QL 180gr Barnes equal pressure URP is one gr less and 60fps slower.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Hmmm - interesting.

I've been having issues getting good velocity for my friends 30-06 load I've done for him. 180gr Scirocco with IMR-4350 is compressed at 53.5 gr and 3.34 COL, has great accuracy, but gives less than 2,600 fps. So I tried RL-17. Shazam! Fantastic velocity with no pressure signs. I don't have my notebook in front of me, but think high 2,800 fps range. Accuracy stinks, though.

So, I've been using MRP for my 300 WBY loads and so far it's been more accurate than 7828SSC and much better velocity than RL-25. So, think I need to try some MRP or RL-22 next (what I use in my buddies 150 gr NF 270 Win load - great accuracy -2,800 fps, 1/4" MOA) for the 30-06.

Fingers crossed on the 30-06.

BTW - was going to try some Varget as well.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've given up any use of IMR 4350 for 30.06 loads. Accuracy was acceptable but it never delivered the velocities loading data suggested it should.
On the other hand H-4350 ( AR 2209 ) will deliver good velocities, and 2750 + fps is quite possible ( 180 gn projectile ). I did find it took a little work to achieve the ideal combo of good accuracy / good velocity.
Varget can be OK but you may find pressure signs starting before you get to the same velocities you should reach with H-4350.

Anyway, nothing hard & fast here. Just what I learned from my own load testing. Have fun with yours and hope you find some great loads.

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30.06king:
I've given up any use of IMR 4350 for 30.06 loads. Accuracy was acceptable but it never delivered the velocities loading data suggested it should.
On the other hand H-4350 ( AR 2209 ) will deliver good velocities, and 2750 + fps is quite possible ( 180 gn projectile ). I did find it took a little work to achieve the ideal combo of good accuracy / good velocity.
Varget can be OK but you may find pressure signs starting before you get to the same velocities you should reach with H-4350.

Anyway, nothing hard & fast here. Just what I learned from my own load testing. Have fun with yours and hope you find some great loads.

I have H4350 as well. Will try

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Good results today with my buddy's 30-06.

The basics: 22.43" barrel, Lapua brass, CCI#200, 180 gr Scirocco at 3.34" COL

Both groups just under 1":

RL-17 53.5 gr 2,708 fps SD 8.6

H4350 56 gr 2,680 fps SD 7.8

I used H4350 for my 404 J and don't have any RL-17 loads for anything, so thinking about the H4350 and also about bumping 1/2 grain to see if I can get an accurate load at 2,700 +/1. 56 gr was basically 100% load.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
thinking about the H4350 and also about bumping 1/2 grain to see if I can get an accurate load at 2,700 +/1. 56 gr was basically 100% load.

If magazine and / or throat dimensions allow you could experiment a little with a longer COAL and see if that gives room for a grain or two more powder. Some data shows 59 gns H4350 as max for 180 gn projectiles. If it was me I would do as you propose and work up in 1/2 grain increments, watching for pressure indications, which ordinarily with this powder, I wouldn't expect to see. Again, just me, but I would stop short of projectiles touching the lands and anything more than only light powder compression if it comes to that.
Good luck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would use H414 if its available..It gets the highest velocity in all my 30-06s and great accuracy. A number of reloading books show this to be a fact. Works for me.

Ive had good luck with RL-22, RL-15 and RL-17..Norma MRP worked well, but Norma powder is bloody high dollar in Idaho..so I don't use it.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote