New
Find
Notify
Tools

More questions from the newbie...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I hope you seasoned reloaders don't mind answering a few more questions.

1) Now that I have several dozen fire-formed cases, and I'm just using the neck sizing die, do I have to lube any part of the brass?

2) I ran out of large rifle MAGNUM primers, is it alright to use large rifle primers in a 7mm rem mag?

3) Twice now, since I started reloading, I pulled the trigger and heard a "click", and about a half-a-second later the rifle fired. Once with a winchester primer, and once with a cci. What causes that?

4) I found the "sweet spot" off the lands with Bergers in my rifle. Question is, will other bullets like that same sweet spot, or do I have to start all over with the "off the lands" experimening if I switch bullets?

Thanks for all your patience, sorry for so many questions.
Dan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
1-Yes, you always need to lube the cases.
2-It should be OK, but when you change primers you need to back off some and work up again.
3-Likely you are not fully seating the primers. They need to "bottom out" in the primer pocket so as to ignite reliably.
4-Each bullet/load is it's own story. What worked with one may or may not work with another. Testing is the only way to know for sure.

Posts: 665 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1. You should lube, I would use dry graphite or sizing wax inside & outside the neck. Hornady's OneShot is effective, but kinda expensive.
2. Only way to know if standard primers will work is to try them. In warm weather in particular, it often makes little difference. In very cold temps it will. Further some powders are more difficult to light consistently than others, specially some of the ball powders.
3. Could be any of several reasons for this. Primers may not be fully seated or some "stickiness" in you firing mechanism would be the first places to look.
4. More likely each bullet will have its own sweet spot, but some are more forgiving than others. Good shooting.

Posts: 44 | Location: Finger Lakes NY | Registered: 18 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1. Yes, you still need to lube the case unless you are using the Lee collet die.

2.Magnum primers are recommended for large amounts of powder,as in the 7 mag. Also for most loads with ball powders.

3. Hangfire could be from contamination on primer (oil?), primer not fully seated, weak firing pin strike, or a number of other variables. If you are single priming as on the press, make sure hands are clean and dry. Seat all primers to a uniform depth. You can run a fingernail over each primed case to check that they are seated uniformly.

4.Every bullet will have a slightly different profile, so each will likely require different seating depth.

Sorry it can't be simple. That is some of what makes it interesting aand fun.

Posts: 326 | Location: Mabank, TX | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I appreciate the time.