New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading for an A.R.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am just beginning to load for an A.R. and would like to hear others experiences. I have loaded for bolt rifles and single shots for a long time but never for a gas operated self loader. My first load is 26 grains of WC844 with a CCI small rifle magnum primer and a 52 grain Hornady BT Match Hollowpoint. This bullet has a cannelure. These were bought bulk at a gunshow as seconds. They have polishing media in the noses of some but they shoot quite well out of everything i've tried them in. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some useful info:

http://www.exteriorballistics....ics/gasgunreload.cfm

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I load my AR with 55 grain Nosler BT's pushed by AA2230 powder and a CCI small rifle standard primer. I do not use any type of crimp. 100 yard groups measure in the .300"

NRA Life Member
HHI Member
SCI Member

"get busy living... or get busy dying"

Posts: 103 | Location: Central Kentucky | Registered: 28 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amamnn , thanks. The load I listed is made with GI Brass, GI surplus Powder for the AR and a civilian bullet made to shoot matches with an A.R. 26 grains and a 55 grain bullet was the recommended powder charge. Rando, thanks, I'll try your load, I would love to get .3 groups. I doubt I will with the 2 stage trigger on my rifle but you never know. This is going to be a fun and educational experience for me. I already like shooting it, kind of like a 10-22 for adults. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dweheels I am sure you read the ENTIRE article and selected the pertinent to the AR--but others reading all this may not get that idea--there is useful info for all types of gas guns in the article--not all of it pertaining to the AR-15--but some of the later info is especially important.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I reload mine with 55 grain bullets and H-322 or H-335 when I have it.
I have also used IMR powders as well as TAC with the same weight bullets.
Powder charges seem to run between 25-26.5 grains with all of the powders I have tried so far.Mind you I am not shooting benchrest matches just shooting at folk sized targets and coyotes.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wheels, WC844 can very alot. My lot is Hot, so work up carefully.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote