New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heavy for calibre medium bore bullets?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looking through the Hanloader book: Big Bore Rifles, 8mm to .600, I saw heavy weight bullets in .338 and .358 diameter.

For example: 275 grain .338 and .358, 300 grain .338 and .358. I vaguely remember reading of Winchester 300 grain silvertip .338, but I cannot find the other bullet diameter / weights mentioned as reloading components.

I know that:

Swift A-Frames are available in 275grn/ .338 and 280grn/ .358

and

Woodleigh soft points are available in 300grn/ .338 and 310 grn/ .358

and

A-Square .358 Norma Magnum and .358 STA ammunition are loaded with 275grain heads

but I cannot find reference to 270/275 grain .358 heads for reloading.

I will add a caveat here, I am refering to reloading components which would be obtainable here in the UK/Europe.

I have found Hawk 265grain .358 heads on the internet, but they would be 'mission impossible' to import into the UK due to permits, quantities and cost. Ditto North Fork etc, another good quality head.

I wondered whether the 280 grain Swift A-Frame would be too tough for wild boar / pig and Black Bear? I geuessed this was designed for Kodiak / Brown Bear at .358 STA velocities?

If a 'softer', heavy for diameter bullet was desired, how practical is it to swage down a .375 or .366 / 9.3mm head using tools like the Corbin presses?

Posts: 1289 | Location: England | Registered: 07 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At one time, Hornady made a 275 gr. round nose bullets. It was discontinued a very long time ago. I have Hornady's first edition loading manual where they gave loading data for that bullet in the .35 Whelen as a courtesy to those who might still have stocks of that bullet.
I found a partial box of those bullets at a gun show and they look like they'd do a pretty good job. The big problem would be to get Hornady to do another run of those bullets.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guessed the Hornady 275grn heads had been discontinued.

The only heavy .358 heads I had seen listed (recent Gun Digest & Shooter's Bible) were 280 grain Swift A-Frame and Woodleigh 310 grain heads.

I am contemplating a medium bore rifle for wildboar, which could be realistically used for deer also. This is an important consideration, as it will need to comply with the UK's restrictive gun laws.

Generally, you are not allowed expanding ammunition for 'medium bores', like the .338, 9.3mm bore and upwards. Or it can be a major bureacratic obstacle course.

I have a .338-06, which I am allowed expanding heads for. The .350 Rigby, with 225 grain heads is very similar in power to my .338-06 with 225 grain Hornady heads. So, there is a sporting chance of obtaining permission.

I would feel a lot more comfortable stalking wild pig on the ground using a .358 diameter bullet of 275 grain mass.

Width / mass matters! It has more momentum and creates larger temporary and permanent wound cavitation / channel. The beast will bleed out quicker.

Additionally, my ambition is to go bear hunting in North America. So, reloading a modern built .350 Rigby chambered rifle with 250, or, preferably, 275 grain bullets launched at 2500 to 2550 fps has its' attractions.

A 9.3x62 would be a whole lot more sensible / easier to do: 232 grain 'deer' loads and 258, 270 grain heavy loads, but being 'allowed' is unlikely etc.

The UK authorities put more emphasis on published manufacturer's ballistics than on reloading manuals etc. This can cut both ways. This time it may be in my interest.

Posts: 1289 | Location: England | Registered: 07 October 2004Reply With Quote