New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sierra Software ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a question about the ballistic tables from the Sierra software. My old software would tell me how many clicks I needed to change for different yardages. The Sierra software does also I believe as I can get the printout for different MOA adjustments but the way it states it I am not sure. Am I to assume if it says -14 for example under the column that I need to raise the crosshairs 14 and the bullet is -14 clicks?
This is how it appears to be. My old software would have had =14 meaning that was what you had to do. This software seams to just tell you what the bullet is actually doing.

Posts: 622 | Location: PA. U.S.A. | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not familiar with the prior version of Sierra Software. The Sierra Infinity Software Version 5 produces certain ballistic data according to the info you provide for it to calculate. In other words, you provide bullet weight, caliber, feet per second, etc., and it provides the data you want to know about the external ballistics at various distances. Two of the catagories calculated by Sierra are the bullet drop and bullet path. Both calculations can be configured to provide the data in inches at the appropriate ranges in yards (or meters). I configure mine for 50 yd. intervals out to 500 yds. So, among other data provided in 50 yd. increments, is the bullet path and bullet drop in inches. Keep in mind Minute Of Angle at various distances. If you are on zero at 100 yds. and the data says (for example) the trajectory of the bullet will be 8 inches low at 400 yds., each click of a 1/4 moa scope (at 100 yds.) should be equivalent to ONE INCH PER CLICK @ 400 yds. It will take 8 clicks up to bring the point of impact to zero @ 400 yds.(for an 8 inch raise in trajectory); at 600 yds. each click will be 1.5 inches etc. Just remember to calculate the bullet drop at various distances IN MOA using the data provided by Sierra. The Sierra Infinity Software will pay for itself quickly by taking the guess-work out of point of impact at various distances.

Posts: 69 | Location: East TX | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Remember that not all scopes are calibrated to 1/4 moa per click. I have a Burris 4-12x which is calibrated at six clicks to the inch. Some target and varmint scopes are 8 clicks and some sights are two clicks to the inch.
I am not familiar with the software in question, but unless you input the clicks per inch for your rifle scope, the software can not tell you how many clicks to adjust for range.

Posts: 273 | Location: West Central Idaho | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is the infinity software. The older sotware I had was not Sierra. Yes the Infinity software is great! Just a little bit different than what I had before. After playing with it changing the details for clicks from 1/8 all the way to 1 moa I am pretty sure I am correct in the way I am understanding it.

Posts: 622 | Location: PA. U.S.A. | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote