New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes SSP Orginals
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What are they like and what type of experience did you have with them?

one of us
Picture of Tiny
posted Hide Post
By the way you have a Double Post of this Toipic,So this must be a Real Important Question [Big Grin]

I have used the Old Barnes and like them as well I as do the Nosler Partition.VERY GOOD BULLET,I wish barnes would go back and make these again.
I still have a few for Hunting in 7mm 140gr and .308 150 grs.As with the X Bullet Soft Copper Jacket on these which can lead to being Picky to get to Shoot Good,But heck all bullets can be that way at times.I have had no complaints in using them.

[ 07-09-2003, 08:30: Message edited by: Tiny ]

Posts: 205 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good news, Hawk makes a copper/lead bullet much like the ones Barnes made.

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
<Lars G>
posted
When I first started out handloading, I used the Barnes Original 200 gr semi-spitzer in a .300 Win. Used it to take the biggest deer I have ever shot at about 75 yds. I have attached an image of the recovered bullet - Bullet no. 2 is the one - all others are partitions. It was a direct broadside hit that clipped the heard and was found just under the hide on the far side.

-

[hope the image works]

If not, copy and paste this url to your browser address:

http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo=22789&sort=7&thecat=500&password=

Here's my synopsis: (1) these bullets are going to be very hard to find these days, (2) while they open up to an impressive frontal diameter, this limits penetration - a .300 Win couldn't even penetrate thru on a broadside shot and (3) while the jacket and core were recovered together, the core fell right out, so there is the potential for the core to seperate, especially if the bullet starts to tumble.

Hey, it's a free country and you can do want you want on this one, but I'd use a partition instead.

~~~Lars~~

[ 07-10-2003, 22:50: Message edited by: Lars G ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tiny thanks for the heads up on the double [Big Grin] Yes is is important Barnes has a close out on quite a few different calibers and cheap too [Cool]

Lars nice to know how they perform since you recovered the bullet minus the core sometimes guessed that they work [Wink]

one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
I love the BARNES 250 grain FN Orignal and Reloader 19 in my 348 Win. I use them for all my hunting when I carry my Win 71.

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I use the 400 grain semispitzer Original in my .45/70... I think these are still being made.

Yep, just checked their website-they're made in 6mm, .277", .284", .308", .348", .375", (for .38/55), .406," .458", and .510".

[ 07-14-2003, 22:12: Message edited by: eldeguello ]