Find
Notify
Tools

Splitting hairs? Maybe.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
ConfusedIn your opinion ;what is the difference in the terms point of impact,accuracy and repeatability as used in our game?

How does this apply to hunting other than varmints, repetative varmint shooting and casual paper punching.

Just want to see how others gage it. lolroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I'm not into deep thinking this year, but,
POI is one shot, accuracy is a few more and repeatability is the day after.

No, seriously, I think POI is the middle of my group, or where the first one goes at least.

Accuracy is a group that is satisfactory for my use, which also sets a range limitation re game size.

Repeatability is when the bloody rifle holds it's zero day in day out.

Then it's only a matter of getting some sort of a steady rest hopefully.
John L>

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
Three questions in one sentence.

POI is where your bullet hits. This will change from your CBS (cold bore shot) to the hot barrel shots. As an example:

Accuracy is the ability to hit a specific point. (note #5 shot... I couldn't resist)

Repeatability is how often you can hit a specific target.

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Posts: 8696 | Location: MO | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
ConfusedIn your opinion ;what is the difference in the terms point of impact,accuracy and repeatability as used in our game?

How does this apply to hunting other than varmints, repetative varmint shooting and casual paper punching.

POI is the mean, or "average" point where all bullets from a given rifle zeroed at a given range actually hit-more of the "group center" if you will. The spot where the next shot is most likely to strike, if the sight picture is perfect when the shot breaks.

"Accuracy" is a relative term. I refers to the consistency with which a specific rifle and ammo combination will repeatedly strike the same or close to the same spot-expressed usually in terms of the average size of the group this combination has proved capable of repeatedly delivering. "This rifle and ammo combo is capable of 2 MOA accuracy", etc.

"Reapeatability" is a much broader term, and what it means often depends to a great extent on the context within which it is used. For example, I once owned a Ruger Mini 30 which was pretty accurate, in that it would often produce 1.5 MOA groups. But its repeatability was poor, because the group center was never in the same place from one day to the next! On the other hand, I once had a Mann. Schoen. .270 carbine that had amazing repeatability! I zeroed it when I bought it in 1964 and installed the scope. From then on, every season I wanted to use it for hunting, I'd take it to the range, and fire one round to verify its zero, +4" @ 100 yards. For the next 24 years, it NEVER FAILED to hit +4" @ 100 yards, first shot from a cold clean barrel.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Deguello:
"Accuracy" is a relative term. I refers to the consistency with which a specific rifle and ammo combination will repeatedly strike the same or close to the same spot-expressed usually in terms of the average size of the group this combination has proved capable of repeatedly delivering. .

El D, You seem to have the same problem as I.;"Trying to define accuracy without useing the words ; repeatable,repeatedly or repeatability itself"

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hey Roger, On this side of the USA, the definitions seem a bit more Standard.

POI - is just as Swamp Fox said, the exact spot where a Bullet makes contact with anything after the bullet is fired.

Accuracy - is a measurable value which indicates how far the POI is from the Point-of-Aim.

Repeatability - could be a bunch of stuff, but when in contex with the POI and Accuracy, it is a Relative term which indicates it is possible to achieve the same level of Accuracy from multiple firings at the same POAim with "some(High, Medium, Low)"(Relative Term) amount of confidence.

An Example of "High" Repeatability would be any of my BBQ Loads. Big Grin

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Swamp_Fox:

This will change from your CBS (cold bore shot) to the hot barrel

Now don't start that arguement again. It ain't necessarly so. My slim barrel unfloated unbeded 223 Rem. (for one) is just as likely to put the first shot out of a clean cold barrel, on seperate days say, as close togeather as the 10th shot in one go. (invarabily under MOA)

The posts on AR show that some rifles will shoot the same clean and cold as hot and dirty and some don't.
John L.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
quote:

Hey Roger, On this side of the USA, the definitions seem a bit more Standard.

POI - is just as Swamp Fox said, the exact spot where a Bullet makes contact with anything after the bullet is fired.

Accuracy - is a measurable value which indicates how far the POI is from the Point-of-Aim.

Repeatability - could be a bunch of stuff, but when in contex with the POI and Accuracy, it is a Relative term which indicates it is possible to achieve the same level of Accuracy from multiple firings at the same POAim with "some(High, Medium, Low)"(Relative Term) amount of confidence.

Up to this point I rather throw in with what you are saying. For clarification does a term like moa refer to a group size from a distance from Point of aim, or just a continuous point of impact? Is either repeatability or accuracy or are they the same depending who'se talking? I'm not being a snit; it is an area of comunication that eludes me. bewilderedroger

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
... For clarification does a term like moa refer to a group size from a distance from Point of aim, or just a continuous point of impact? Is either repeatability or accuracy or are they the same depending who'se talking? I'm not being a snit; it is an area of comunication that eludes me. bewilderedroger
Hey Roger, I feel your pain Big Grin... understand the confusion.

It seems to me MOA is best thought of as a Trignometric function where you mentally visualize the point of the Triangle beginning at the muzzle with the sides extending out as far as you desire. It is basically "1/60th of a Degree", or 1.047" at 100yds, 2.094" at 200yds, etc.

Steve normally posts a fine list of Definitions when this comes up, but he must still be full of Turkey. You should be able to find them at his web site though.

Most people seem to just say, "I have a MOA Load at xxx yards." Which means they can count on their firearm shooting within a Minute-of-Angle using that Load at a specific distance.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by El Deguello:
"Accuracy" is a relative term. I refers to the consistency with which a specific rifle and ammo combination will repeatedly strike the same or close to the same spot-expressed usually in terms of the average size of the group this combination has proved capable of repeatedly delivering. .

El D, You seem to have the same problem as I.;"Trying to define accuracy without useing the words ; repeatable,repeatedly or repeatability itself"

OK then! How about "the term accuracy describes the probablity that any individual shot from a given firearm will strike within a specified distance of the point of aim. "Accuracy" is usually given as the average size of group a given arm can be expected to shoot at a given distance with a given number of shots. Group size usually is expressed in inches, millimeters, or minutes of angle. Accuracy has no relationship to point of impact, because an adequately accurate arm can be made to place its shots in any given spot on the target by adjustment of its sights."

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote