Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thanks for all the help!!
 Login/Join

posted
I just wanted to say thanks for all the reloading info everyone gave me. After beveling, polishing, lubeing, etc... I was able to reload my 220 swift! The load I used worked great (poor prarie dogs), now I have to start reloading all over.
I do have one more question, I bought some new brass (Winchester)and had trouble with the mandral getting stuck inside the mouth of the cartridge. I had lubed the inside of the neck a little and had beveled the mouth and it still stuck. The inside of the case is real rough and gritty even after tumbling. Should I use my dremil tool and shine it up a little before loading?
Once again, thanks for all the advice.
Chris

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might try a lightly lubed bronze bore brush on the inside neck, either by hand or cordlesss drill. On ocassion, I've had the same problem and this worked well. As HIVEL said, polishing the expander should also help and/or cure the problem.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I dont think i would use a dremel. it may cause you to thin the wall of the neck .

i would polish the expander to help it pull back through a little smother . I have seen gaulding caused by a trimmer mandrel. you may check that also.I have used 400grit emery

wraped around a doll and ever so lightly sanded the inside or better yet buy and use a reamer

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ditto,..I have used and do use an old bronze bore brush. I chuck the shell into the K&M neck turning shell holder for cordless drills,..then spin the case while running the bore brush into the case mouth.

Also,..make sure your mandral on the trimmer is lubed. Don't worry about lube inside the neck,..as you can remove it by boiling some water,..adding dish detergent, and then inserting the prepped cases to be soaked. Shake them around, let them sit a while,..then dump the water and rinse with fresh HOT water. Dry the cases and they are spotless inside and out.

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote