New
Find
Notify
Tools

I am having a problem with a Lee Collet Die
 Login/Join

<Doc in Texas>
posted
I just resized 100 rounds of 243 W&W brass and found that 3 of them will not chamber at all the bolt will not even close not ever close to closing.
I have the die set according to the instuction,and have used neck sizing dies in the past but have never had this problem.

My question is,will FL resizing fix this or just throw them out and start with a new bunch. this is once fired brass and the first time to neck size it.

Any help with this

thank you in advance

Doc

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc in Texas:
I just resized 100 rounds of 243 W&W brass and found that 3 of them will not chamber at all the bolt will not even close not ever close to closing.
I have the die set according to the instuction,and have used neck sizing dies in the past but have never had this problem.

My question is,will FL resizing fix this or just throw them out and start with a new bunch. this is once fired brass and the first time to neck size it.

Any help with this

thank you in advance

Doc

With it just being some of the cases then I would look to case length being too long...the neck walls being too thick for that guns chamber.....I got a new batch of brass for a couple of my guns ...one a 243 and the brass varied a lot in wall thickness and some were so thick that when the bullet was seated they had to be forced into the chamber....started checking and then found the neck thickness in some of the cases...... I recently got a collet die to test and they often need some sanding and polish on the collet and the compressor? to make them work smoothly and a little lube on the fingers of the collet.......I've had better luck with the Redding bushing dies for my loading beyond standard FL dies.....HTH...good luck and good shooting!!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have sometimes had a problem of the shoulder buckling slightly. Measure the diameter at the junction of the shoulder and case body and compare it to a case that fits. A slight buckle, .001" will be enough for a once fired case not to fit.

Hart

Posts: 307 | Location: Vancouver, BC. | Registered: 15 July 2000Reply With Quote
<Doc in Texas>
posted
Thank you both,Hart you are right it is .005 over the good cases,I am going to run them thru the FL die in the morning and see if that will fix them.I have a box of brass that is once fired that a friend gave me that needs to be FL resized anyway gave me a reason to get out the FL dies and do some work.

Again thank you both

Doc

<green 788>
posted
Doc,

Remove the mandrel from the Lee Collet die and chuck it in a drill, and polish .001" off of it with some emery cloth. Finish with some Flitz or 600 grit sandpaper until it is mirror bright.

Chances are the mandrel extracted hard and stretched your necks. When you tried to push them into the chamber, the shoulder bumped back and caused the bulge that you measured.

If the mandrel is polished and kept clean, it won't extract hard, and therefore won't stretch the cases. Taking .001" off of it will also help with the neck tension...

Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
In my opinion, the cases buckle because the sleeve inside the die, with the collet fingers on top, flexes as heavy pressure is applied in the resizing operation. When the shell is pushed into the die the shell holder contacts the inner sleeve, pushing it up and closing the collet around the neck and clamping it against the mandrel. Once the neck is clamped against the mandrel and pressure on the bottom of the sleeve is increased the fingers of the collet flex a little. As the fingers flex with the neck pinned against the mandrel the shoulder buckles.
This happens a lot when I size my 338 brass. I can eliminate the buckle by holding the shell up in the shell holder with a thin blade scew driver till the collet is just starting to squeeze the neck, pull out the screw driver, and finish the stroke. This is a bit of a pain to do but it leaves a few thou gap between the case head and the face of the shell holder, therefore no buckle.

Hart

Posts: 307 | Location: Vancouver, BC. | Registered: 15 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hart:
In my opinion, the cases buckle because the sleeve inside the die, with the collet fingers on top, flexes as heavy pressure is applied in the resizing operation.

While I've used collect dies for 1,000 or more rounds, I have failed to recognize this problem.

I have polished and greased the taper as I'm sure you have also.

I also polished the mandrel by .001 on my .223 to increase the neck tension. In the process, I found the the resizeing really takes little pressure on the handle of the press. I no longer set the dies to toggle over center, but stop as I feel the case neck sizeing (click, snap or whatever). No reason for pushing harder as the neck is against the mandrel and any further pressure will just deform something.

The other caliber I have reloaded for a bunch is the 30-06. I bought a colt light rifle and had several misfires. By cleaning and polishing I got it down to 1 misfire in 40 rounds. Its fixed now, but you can imagine that I fired many rounds through it to test it each time. All were reloaded with the collect die and I did have a few that were hard to chamber. I will consider your discovery of why this happens with the collect die the next time I have a hard to chamber round.

JerryO

PS. when I polished the .223 mandrel, I polished just under the case neck. Then when I tried to lower the ram, the case neck would drag the mandrel down, pulling the outside taper on top of the collect and pinching the the collect tight on the case mouth. RESULT: case jamed in the die. FIX: polish the whole length of the mandrel.

JerryO

Posts: 231 | Location: MN. USA | Registered: 09 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

[ 01-07-2003, 04:04: Message edited by: Rick from Kalifornia ]

Posts: 47 | Location: California | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a few mixed results with the collet die. I've had a couple guns that just won't rechamber (without bolt drag) after just 1 firing. (On the flip side I have some guns that will chamber the collet sized brass after many firings.) I have come to believe it has to do with the way the chamber on the gun is cut.

Also, I can't understand why they don't let you get a little more neck tension out of the standard set up. It just seems to me that some brass "springs back" and the bullets just plain seat to ez. (especially moly coated). As reasoanbly priced as the dies are maybe it would be nice if they'd send 2 mandrels and let us pick the one we like most. (Maybe charge us another $3 per set).

How are you guys cleaning the xtra .001" off the dies?? Just sandpaper and a drill?? Is it pretty soft material??

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hart:
In my opinion, the cases buckle because the sleeve inside the die, with the collet fingers on top, flexes as heavy pressure is applied in the resizing operation.

I have not had that problem, but I have had the case buckle [Frown] because the collet was stuck in the closed position. Like others, I have found that polishing and greasing the taper solves the problem [Smile] . I have not tried polishing the mandrel, but so far I have not really had any need to.

Good luck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a problem using the Lee collet neck sizer on 30-06 cases, buckled the shoulder BAD on several cases. I sent the die and a "sample" back to Lee. They returned it with a note that the collet fingers had closed up too much and that was what caused my problem. Haven't had any problems with it since.

Never "operate" the press/die without a cartridge in the shellholder, as this will cause the collet fingers to close too much.

If you get case buckling, disassemble the die. Use a tapered round punch to expand the fingers of the collet back out and reassemble the die. A little lubrication on the OD of the collet or a little "smoothing" should not hurt anything.

Removing material on the mandrel should give you more neck tension, but that is the only thing that this should be used for.

Good luck, Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I purchased a set of LEE collet dies for my 35 rem and 243 win.The 243 dies work okay but i could not get 35rem cases to hold a bullet. I had to machine a new mandrel (.006" smaller) at work before it would work.I never did really like the dies anyway so i hardly ever use them anymore.Just my .02

Posts: 175 | Location: mineral wells texas | Registered: 12 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Polishing the mandrel down will increase neck tension. Another trick that I find works very well (particularly with cartridges like the .22 Hornet) is to cut a washer to form a 3/4 circle and put it on the shell holder when using the collet die. The die contacts the washer and the collet closes early, resizing the neck ahead of the shoulder.

With the .22 Hornet, this results in the lower unsizd part of the neck acting as a pilot to center the bullet in the throat.

Posts: 17 | Location: Arkansas, deep in the Ozarks | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Martindog>
posted
Send $5 to Lee and they will make you an undersized mandrel to your specs, say .001 under. Send them $10 and you can get two different mandrels, say .001 and .002 under.

They aren't stocked items through catalogs, but Lee will make them for you.

Martindog

<Doc in Texas>
posted
Thank you all, helped. I now have a new set of dies and got rid of the old less collet dies and gone with redding.

Thank you again for all the help

Doc in Texas

<green 788>
posted
Doc,

Did you get rid of the dies, or would you sell them at "kin-folk's" price? [Smile]

Dan

<Doc in Texas>
posted
I sent them to a poor freind that is getting into reloading and need a set to do some reloading with. Green 788 I will E-mail you later when I get them back.so I can think can do the Kin-folk price

Doc

<green 788>
posted
Thanks, Doc. The Lee Collets are either loved or hated, it seems. I adjust mine to close simultaneous with the press arm camming over, and have always had good results. I realize the instructions advise against this, but I think this is actually the best way to go.

I've experienced no problems like have been mentioned here with mine, so I'd be willing to buy them if they ever come back your way...

Dan