ELD-M vs ELD-X on game
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted
I've killed a few deer with the ELD-X.
What will the ELD-M be like on game.
Deer and Elk

Posts: 1225 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Never used them.

But from the looks they are not too different.

Both are cup and core soft points.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68669 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
And what about Hornady A-tips?

I measured .338" 300 grainers and are the most uniform bullets I ever seen. Used calibrated micrometer in tempered room and diameter uniformity is better than 0.001 mm. Better than lathe turned Cutting Edge Lazers or Peregrine VRL4s. (Last two are fantastic too, but with measurable differences).

Jiri

Posts: 2105 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We've used the "M" on deer size game and they're okay. From the damage and explosive nature of the "M", I wouldn't use them on elk....but that's me.
I've used x's on deer and elk and they're fine for a cup and core.

Zeke

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Timan:
I've killed a few deer with the ELD-X.
What will the ELD-M be like on game.
Deer and Elk

I would never use those bullets on Deer and especially Elk.
A young man that hunts with us was using ELD X Hornady factory loads 142 grain (if I remember the weight right) in his 6.5 Creedmore. He shot several deer with this, hit very well and the bullet exploded on the body without entering the ribs, always large surface wounds and lacking penetration, 80 yards to just over 200 yards. Absolutely pathetic performance.
Yes the deer were killed but most either needed follow up shots or time to run off and die.
If I understand correctly the eld M and the A max's are target bullets.
If we had trouble with the eld x's I can only imagine the problems with the other 2.
I hear the popularity of these bullets all the time and frankly after seeing this performance first hand I could never recommend them.
Why don't you do yourself a favor and use a real game bullet?
If you've ever been around elk much you will know quickly they aren't just big whitetails.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just my casual and unscientific observation after use of some ELD-X bullets for goat culling leaves me thinking I would not use them on deer or for serious hunting. Sometimes for practise value I will cull with my 300 Win Mag, shooting a 180 gn bullet. Very much overkill on 25 - 40 kg animals but this is the rifle to use for those barrel stretching shots out to 400 yds. Actually, also the 270W but that's irrelevant here. Since it's culling I've got loads with cheaper bullets, mainly Hornady SST and Interbond 180 gn, both of which gave expected DRT kills or kills after very short runs. I decided to try Hornady ELD-X 178 gn and easily worked up a couple of great loads. Fantastically accurate bullets. I've shot goats on two trips now and thought performance maybe close to the SST and Interbond bullets but overall not as good. Fewer DRT goats with more finishing shots required. I think shot goats that ran off and died about the same. I've never done any tissue examination of shot goats so have no comparison from the different bullets. Each trip accounted for about 20 to 25 goats. Some online comments have been pretty positive re game shot for the ELD-X but I am in the underwhelmed camp so far. I've still got about 200 bullets to use so time will tell.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2082 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
The reason I ask is a buddy told me the ELD-M bullets have a thicker jacket.
Just wanted see what you guys could offer,
thanks for the info on the M's

Posts: 1225 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote