Find
Notify
Tools

Wilson Cas Trimmer Help
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted
I am a brand new reloader. I bought a used Wilson Case trimmer with a Sinclair mount. I must really be slow, as I can't figure out how to work it. The Wilson web site has not step by step with photo directions. Can anyone help?

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SBT, the Wilson case trimmer requires a specific case holder for each caliber. You place the case, some require a different holder for fired or unfired cases, into the holder--tap the case to seat it in the holder, on a little block of wood or such, and then place the holder onto the trimmer where it will 'ride' on the rails with the mouth of the case facing the cutter. Then swing the spring loaded 'retainer' onto the top of the case holder, which keeps the case/holder in place while you turn the handle to do the trimming. You then loosen the allen screw at the end of the trimmer without the cutter and screw the adjustment stop in or out to achieve the desired amount of trim. Set the allen screw to lock the stop. It is good to have a 'pre-trim' measurement and then a 'post trim' case to use as a setup case in the future. Just place that case in the trimmer and screw the adjustment stop in or out while holding the cutter in with firm pressure, until the case just touches the trimming blade and you'll be close on your desired trim length.
If you have one, the Sinclair catalog has a photo showing the trimmer in it's assembled state, that might help.

Hope that helps--Good Luck--D.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
That was very helpful. I do not have the proper case holder yet. The part about the case holder "riding the rails" and the spring loaded "retainer" helped me visualize how it works. Thanks a lot!

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RareBear
posted Hide Post

Posts: 166 | Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd rock from the sun, Milkyway Galaxy | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SBT, hopefully with the help of RareBear posting that photo you're on your way!
I need to bone up on this new forum format to learn to post those photos and links, it's stumped me so far--any tips RareBear?
I suppose it might be obvious but that photo is for the micrometer adjustable model so it doesn't have a screw adjustment but rather an adjustable micrometer to move the case/holder in or out. It is really handy to record the specs of a certain case trim data if you trim a lot of different cases.

At any rate glad the info was useful--
Good Luck.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote