Find
Notify
Tools

Handloads for a 7mm Rem BAR
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SempreElk
posted
I should be using powder with a medium burn rate per the reloading manual..is this correct?

Working on my ISIS strategy....FORE

Posts: 1779 | Location: Southeast | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Elk, your old buddy here.

I used to load for 270win in BAR's and 7400's. I followed all the recommended medium burn stuff. But sometimes, in both guns I got cycleing problems. Of course more with the 7400. I went to IMR4350 and never had another cycle problem.

So I started thinking. These guns are made to work with factory loadings. Many loadings are more of the slower powders I believe. At least from the velocity they get. So I kinda threw out that idea of medium powder burn rate in semis. I know that was the case for the M1 Garand. But the M1 was a different animal being fed ball powder from the military ammo. But I believe that reloading guideline carried over to all semi's by word of mouth.

Sorry, no loads for the rem mag. You get more new guns than I do.

Posts: 459 | Location: Finksburg, MD | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have loaded for several BAR's (.270 Win, .280 Rem., 7mm Rem Mag., and .300 Win Mag.) I use(d) IMR 4831 in all of them with good results.

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
can catagorically say after loading for five different remington automatics that they don't like IMR4831

But Remingtons look cool as hell when firing ammo loaded with 4831... they snort flames out of the handguard vents
like a pissed-off dragon.

They LOVE IMR4064 and IMR4350...

but the BAR is a different animal... I do hope you have aquired a "Small base" FL sizing die...

I'd be inclined to think that in the 7mmMag the propellents that'll work well with 140, 150 &160gr bullets would be IMR4350, H4350, IMR4831, RL19, RL22 and AA3100
and just possibly N560

Is H450 still available?

I seem to recall reading that the BAR is "tuned" to prefer slower propellants than the remingtons are, a necissity considering that the BAR is chambered for Magnums and the Remingtons aren't.

AllanD

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote