THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Can brass be hurt by tumbling/vibrating for 11 hours?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can brass be hurt by tumbling/vibrating for 11 hours?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of cwilson
posted
I put a load of brass (.308 win) into my Lyman 1200 vibratory polisher at about 8:30 last night and for got about it until I was leaving for work at 7:30 this morning. Man, that brass is REALLY shiny. Did I do any damage to it?

cwilson

A well requlated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed - 2nd Amendment U.S. Constitution

Posts: 715 | Location: Boswell, PA, USA | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What "media???"

Assuming you are using the usual corn cob or walnut hull, probably not. Grab a mike and take some measurements. If you were using a heavy/course grit rock polishing compound and actually removed measureable brass, then I would not be concerned, but if you cannot measure the change, wear sun glasses until the shine dulls. happy holidays (all)...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
no problem - i've had really dirty brass that i tumbler for a day and a half to clean it

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I've left dirty brass in a tumbler w/ corncob/walnut media for 8-10 hours. I doubt you could hurt the brass if you left it for 8-10 days.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fredj338:
I've left dirty brass in a tumbler w/ corncob/walnut media for 8-10 hours. I doubt you could hurt the brass if you left it for 8-10 days.

I'm with Fred!
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only thing hurt will be your electric bill.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cwilson
posted Hide Post
I think the media was the standard crushed corn cob media. Kinda green in color. It came with the tumbler. I guess it it treated with something to make it green.

cwilson

A well requlated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed - 2nd Amendment U.S. Constitution

Posts: 715 | Location: Boswell, PA, USA | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not noted any damage to any brass being tumbled into the next day-I take my tumbler over to the power plant and plug er in.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cwilson:
I think the media was the standard crushed corn cob media. Kinda green in color. It came with the tumbler. I guess it it treated with something to make it green.

If you can't see daylight through the brass anywhere you will be fine Wink

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
for almost 20 years, I've tumbled brass no less than all night. 10 hours on average. if it does damage, I sure as heck haven't noticed it.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
I usually will tumble brass all night in corncob media. Gets real clean - Have no problem with reloads.

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The short answer is no. You can tumble the stuff virtually forever, and unless you are using ammonia in the tumbler, or some sort or abrasive that thins the case walls, or tumbling at temperatures that changes the grain structure of the brass, (like 428 F), you will not hurt your brass.

Unless you are deforming the brass, you are not workhardening brass. Shooting and sizing brass workhardens the metal and that in time will cause case failure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tumbled some for three days once, by mistake, I forgot about it, Lyman Tumbler and media. No harm. Was super shiny but no problem in use.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I've been reloading for over 30 years. My normal procedure is to tumble AT LEAST over night. Some real dirty cases a couple nights.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tumbled down a hill once (Hic) rotflmo

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cwilson
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies guys, I appreciate it. I will be loading the extra shiny brass as usual. Thanks

cwilson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No not unless you are using a very odd media... I have tumbled over night and never had a problem.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I always tumble mine at least a half a day. I have forgotten about it before and left it tumbling for almost two weeks, it came out real pretty. I use corn cob media.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
no problem - i've had really dirty brass that i tumbler for a day and a half to clean it

thumb thumbroger and maybe more

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I forgot and left some in the media for a month or so and when I took it out it was covered with little spots, looked like it had chicken pox. I guess it was the chemical in the additive/polish that I added to the media. Frankford Arsenal I think it was. It also took a while to get it out of the inside. Once I did I ended up soaking it in hot soapy water for a while and it all came out okay.

Posts: 314 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: 08 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had some old 357 in a tumbler so long the onlt thing left was the primer pockets. jumping

“I am an American; free born and free bred, where I acknowledge no man as my superior,
except for his own worth, or as my inferior, except for his own demerit.”
Theodore Roosevelt (1858 – 1919)

Posts: 240 | Location: texas | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pdpdad
posted Hide Post
I normally polish overnight.

Posts: 48 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 16 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have done many of the same things. About four years ago I bought a mechanical timer that I wired into a recepticle where I plug in the tumbler. Now I simply set the mechanical timer to anywhere from 2 to 12 hours and it turns off automatically. I don't have to trust my tired old brain. It also saves electricity when I happen to forget that it is running.

I'm sure that you did no damage.

Posts: 188 | Location: South Dakota, USA | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I left some 30-06 cases in the tumbler so long one time I had to use them for 7-08 brass.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Wont hurt it

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote