THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Thanks to everyone who answered my questions...Loaded my first tonight

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thanks to everyone who answered my questions...Loaded my first tonight
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I loaded my first 100 rounds tonight for my 7mm/08. I took everyones advice and went with all hand tools to start with. I loaded Barnes TSX 160gr with H414 and Federal BR Primers. I started at 41 grains and moved up to 43 grains in 1/2 grain increments.

I have also ordered some 120 and 140 grain TSX's and Varget to load next. I am heading to the range on Thursday to see how I did.

P.S Just to double check I weighed each completed round per lot to make sure I didn't load a double or a dummy. Smiler

Thanks for everyones help.

Bruz

"Honor,Courage and Character"

NRA Lifetime Member

Posts: 342 | Location: Jawja | Registered: 20 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sounds like you are on the right track.
You might find you are loading to many rounds at a time.
I usually load about 25 to 40 for a single rifle. You have 100 loaded and you may find that the powder and bullet combo is not good in your rifle.
For example I am loading for my 25,06. I am going to try the 110 grain nosler acubond and RL-19. 5 rounds each with 50.5 51, 51.5 and 52, grains., total of 20 rounds. That should tell me if I am on the right track or barking up the wrong tree.
if it wont satisfy Then I would try another powder.
7mm08 is a great round , varget is a good powder for that round. You might like RL-15 also...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bruz:
I loaded my first 100 rounds tonight for my 7mm/08. I took everyones advice and went with all hand tools to start with.

P.S Just to double check I weighed each completed round per lot to make sure I didn't load a double or a dummy. Smiler

Thanks for everyones help.

Congratulations! Good reloading habits make a good reloader. I think you'll find this hobby will not only save you money, but that it is something you can do for a lifetime.
And speaking of lifetime, you'll find that with a few special tools one can breathe new life into otherwise defunct calibres.

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Good Luck, Glad you got rolling with your new hobby.

I agree with Thomas, You are probably loading way too many for accuracy testing.

I usually only load 4 rounds with one weight charge(middle of the road charge from data books) then, 4 more with one grain heavier charge, and 4 more one grain heavier. If I don't get a good group with three different charge weights for that powder, It's not a powder I want to use in that particluar rifle with that particular bullet. 12 rounds will tell you if it has any potential. If one group is really good, load two more groups next time out 1/2 grain heavier and 1/2 grain lighter and see if it improves any. Then you can play with seating depth and .10 grain charge changes......

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bruz, sounds like you're employing some good strategies in your reloading process so far.

I wouldn't worry about having too many loadeed this time around, but a few less rounds per charge will probably tell you what you need to know. One thing to think about, as you shoot the different loads, your rifle will change--maybe a little maybe a lot. It will warm up of course, and the barrel will get 'dirty'.
This being the case, I would recommend that you set up five target spots (I think that's 5 loads you've got there) and shoot the respective loads at a specific target spot. i.e. shoot one of the loads at charge weight 1 at target 1. Then take a charge weight of a different amount and shoot it at target spot 2, and so on, keeping the cartridges of the same weight on the same target. This will give you the true indication of how your rifle likes the various loads.

Good luck on your range session--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fish30114:
Bruz, sounds like you're employing some good strategies in your reloading process so far.

I wouldn't worry about having too many loadeed this time around, but a few less rounds per charge will probably tell you what you need to know. One thing to think about, as you shoot the different loads, your rifle will change--maybe a little maybe a lot. It will warm up of course, and the barrel will get 'dirty'.
This being the case, I would recommend that you set up five target spots (I think that's 5 loads you've got there) and shoot the respective loads at a specific target spot. i.e. shoot one of the loads at charge weight 1 at target 1. Then take a charge weight of a different amount and shoot it at target spot 2, and so on, keeping the cartridges of the same weight on the same target. This will give you the true indication of how your rifle likes the various loads.

Good luck on your range session--Don

Don,

Thanks for the suggestion. I was orifinally going to shoot 3 fouling rounds and then shoot a group with 41 then clean and let the rifle rest while I shot another and repeat for 41.5 and so forth....Your idea seems much simpler.

Bruz

"Honor,Courage and Character"

NRA Lifetime Member

Posts: 342 | Location: Jawja | Registered: 20 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is another tip to save a little loading money. Load 3 of each charge weight that you want to shoot for groups. Put each 3 in a baggy and label it with a sharpy. Label your targets also and when done shooting make notes in your log book. When you get back home examine the brass from each bag for any indication of pressure extremes.
Always keep good notes.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote