Notify
Tools

FYI 8mm 170gr SST
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of PaulH
posted
Measures 1.254"

170 grain Hornady SST between a 150 Hornady (L) and 180 Nosler (R)

Posts: 218 | Location: Liquid Sunshine State | Registered: 12 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice bullets.Shot some yesterday out of my recently converted VZ24 military to deer rifle,its first time out with a scope on it. I worked up loads at the bench with a LeeLoader and was all over the place but finally after a few combinations of powder and primer got it to print. Starting loads printed all over the place but 48 gr of IMR4320 seemed to tighten up the group. Now to tinker with seating depth. I was not even close to the cannelure at 3.250" OAL.

Posts: 34 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 18 March 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PaulH
posted Hide Post
I'll be getting them out to the range in a couple weeks. Loaded up a set with Por-2000MR. COAL was 3.08. My M70 has a tighter throat than your VZ24.

Posts: 218 | Location: Liquid Sunshine State | Registered: 12 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice rifles and some great info on your range trips and load data. I see why you chose 3.080" as OAL from your data.

I put a pic of the VZ24 on the sporterized military rifle forum. It was really windy Saturday, and my first range trip of the year. I didn`t impress myself at the bench,although there was a loose ring upon inspection.
How did the cartridge perform on game?

one of us
Picture of PaulH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mick Berger:
Very nice rifles and some great info on your range trips and load data. I see why you chose 3.080" as OAL from your data.

I put a pic of the VZ24 on the sporterized military rifle forum. It was really windy Saturday, and my first range trip of the year. I didn`t impress myself at the bench,although there was a loose ring upon inspection.
How did the cartridge perform on game?

Nice rifle. The below is from another website.

I've always heard (internet and nosler) that the 8mm 180 BT was one of the tougher constructed ballistic tips.

I have had problems getting the 180 NBT's to shoot consistantly accurate. It was baffling and frustrating as I figured they should be a very good bullet in that department. Early this year I discovered some concentricity issues that led back to a worn out press. For this year, I switched to a new press and will slowly be reshooting those 180 Nosler loads from last year.

That 8mm 180 Nosler should be a good all around bullet for deer to elk.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks PaulH. The 180BT looks pretty tough indeed. I like it.