New
Find
Notify
Tools

.470 NE
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone out there ever worked up a load using IMR 4320 Powder for the .470 NE? I have had superb loads using the 4320 with both.416 Turner and the .416 Ruger using Barnes TSX 400 gr. bullets both from the bench and on the big boys in Africa. I want to use the 500 gr. .470 this trip but there does not seem to be a lot of loads out there.

Thanks,

GOB

Photobucket

Posts: 410 | Location: Benton, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: 16 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GOB:
Has anyone out there ever worked up a load using IMR 4320 Powder for the .470 NE? I have had superb loads using the 4320 with both.416 Turner and the .416 Ruger using Barnes TSX 400 gr. bullets both from the bench and on the big boys in Africa. I want to use the 500 gr. .470 this trip but there does not seem to be a lot of loads out there.

Thanks,

GOB

I never used 4320 in the .470 double. In the old days we used 3031, but now days I think it is accepted that RL-15 is the powder unless one of the 4831s five better regulation or you don't want to use a "filler". To me, less recoil with RL-15, but the 500 Double 3" shoots better with IMR 4350 and no filler.

Try and see with a double

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,

Thanks so much for the information, I am like you not too thrilled when it comes to using fillers.

I shall follow your advice and give the 4350 a go, have lots of it about.

If you come up with any other thoughts please give a shout.

Respectfully!

Glenn

Photobucket

Posts: 410 | Location: Benton, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: 16 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The regulation load that Mr Searcy gave me for the new to me double in .470 i just acquired is 106 gr of IMR 4831 with a 500 gr and a Federal 215 primer. I shot some yesterday and after pulling my head out of a dark place, was able to put 2 shots within 3/8" at 50 yards. If the weather permits, I will chrono that load and post the data.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,

Thanks for contacting us with the information on your load. I shall give it a try. Was the load provided by the Rifle Maker or did you work it up yourself. What cartridge case and bullet did you use.

Thanks,

Glenn

Photobucket

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The load information was provided by the rifle maker, Butch Searcy. It shoots very well in the double that i own and he made. I, as of yet, have not had the opportunity to chrono the load but will try this week, weather permitting. And, I have not shot this load off the bench yet, only shooting sticks. It appears to be very accurate. Brass was Jameson and the bullets were Woodleighs, both soft and solids.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am loading 108 gr IMR 4831 w/ a 500 gr CEB BBW#13 and 107.5 gr for the 460 gr NonCon. Shooting a Chapuis PHII. Extremely happy with the results!

Skip Nantz

Posts: 539 | Location: SouthEast, KY | Registered: 09 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Skip, I am getting ready to try the CEB's in the Searcy. Have you chronographed any of them? Be curious to see what they are doing.