New
Find
Notify
Tools

Case Trimmers... Recommendations?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have an old Lyman trimmer that I took the hand crank handle off of and chuck up to a cordless drill to trim cases. I don't think it's the best way to get well trimmed cases. The shell holder sometimes slips or locks the case in with a little wobble. Also the way you adjust the trim length is by a stop on the handle with a set screw which periodically needs to be re-set.

I'd like a suggestion on an upgrade. Something that I can power with a drill without buying one with a motor is a preference, unless the ones with the motors are just too good to pass up. Ease of trimming high volumes of cases quickly, nice straight case mouths, etc..... will be my criteria.

What do you guys think?

one of us
posted Hide Post
For best results (but not necessarily lowest cost): a Wilson, ideally with a Sinclair micrometer and stand installed.

For true high volume operations (but motors included) look at a Gracey - and there is another trimmer with a French name (forgotten right now) which is supposed to be even faster...

- mike

P.S. Ah, the French sounding trimmer is the "Giraud" (I think it is spelled).

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
Have used Wilson, Forster and several others over the years. Currently have a Forster set up for neck turning/trimming 30-06, but prefer the Lee for trimming. It is quicker to trim every time with the Lee than measure and trim only those necessary w/other trimmers IMO.

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote