THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Blue Dot and the 7 Rem Mag: What do you want to see?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blue Dot and the 7 Rem Mag: What do you want to see?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted
Okay per many requests, I managed to secure a rifle in 7Rem Mag....

I am going to do a Blue Dot range report on it..

I was looking at doing test in the following bullet weights...

140, 150, 160 and 175...

will that give most of you interested, the data in the calibers you would be loading???

any other suggestions, please list them here...

anyone wanting a 'particular' bullet weight... ( not listed above )you supply the bullets, and I will supply the powder and the load data.. and you get the results before anyone else does...

this data will fit the 7mm Weatherby and be pretty close in the Short Mags... the long action Ultra Mags, the data will be close enough to let you know where safe is.. but you may get a few more grains of before max is hit, having the larger case... BOOM

cheers
seafire
beer

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire, thanks for your work in the Blue Dot world. I think those bullet weights cover it nicely myself.

Good Luck

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You got my attention, too, Seafire! I'm shooting mostly 175 Sierra Game Kings...

Can't wait to see what you find and give it a go.

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Seafire
If you need some 175s to support the project I think I have some that I could send. Maybe some of the lighter weights also!

Maybe some lead also IF you want to try some of them.

I'll look this morning.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
175s are all I shoot in it. Lock Stock & Barrel blems, which are Hornady Interlock SPs.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That interests me. I shoot 139 SST's, 160 Partitions, and 175 A Frames. I have two and I have Blue Dot.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:
Seafire
If you need some 175s to support the project I think I have some that I could send. Maybe some of the lighter weights also!

Maybe some lead also IF you want to try some of them.

I'll look this morning.

TCL..

after you check your stash, if you have any of the ones listed above and you don't need them, that would help out.. and then I could spend some of my own cash on other weights like the 120s, 130s etc...

PM me if you have something available.. and we can set up where to send them too...

cheers
seafire

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Id like to see some blue dot tests with the 110gr TNT bullet in this caliber!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want to de tune the 7mm Mag, just get a recently written load bookSmiler

"Speer 13" 1998, has a max load of 50 gr IMR4895 with 130 gr.

Per some Quickload, this will produce 2795 fps and 37,808 psi in 7mm Mag.

Put the same powder and bullet in a 7mm Mauser, and get 3187 fps and 66,536 fps.

What has the world come to?
Ackley showed 58 gr, not 50.
I'll bet 61.5 is usable.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
How about some STW or 7mm RUM blue dot loads? Or would it have problems in the large case?

45-70 for sure, maybe 45-120 work? I'll need some light loads when I get around to the 45-120. Big Grin

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of acsteele
posted Hide Post
Seafire, I have a bunch of Sierra 130gr. if you want to try some. these are the thin jacketed "pistol" bullets they discontinued a couple of years ago. They are perfect at reduced velocities, and were designed for 7X30waters and single shot pistols.

I used them and your load suggestions to work up mild 7mm/08 loads for my daughter to start out with....she has graduated to a 7mm mag. now!

Let me know where to send 'em.

Lt. Robert J. Dole, 10th Mountain, Italy.

Posts: 609 | Location: South-central KS | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Well guys,

I didn't realize that this thread had bounced back to the top....

As the weather slowly gets more user friendly around here, I am going to get back to working with this project...I've done the 140grainers so far...got the brass set aside etc...

Lets see: Tyler Kemp: once I finish with this, the data for the 7 Rem Mag will be safe in the Ultra Mag and 7 STW... the velocities will be lower than the 7 Rem Mag, but the loads will be safe...

Derek...
I am scheduled to test the 120 grainers, which will be close to that.. I have to admit, I load the 110 grain TNT and the 115 grain HP Speer in my 7 x 57 at reduced load and carry that Deer hunting... a lower velocity it is more than adequate for Blacktail...ya wanna mail me some, then I'll definitely test them.. in fact, you'd get the first data on it, before I posted it publically...

AC Steele;

Thanks for the offer.. I'd be more than happy to take them for testing... saves me a bunch on expense of doing this testing... bullets get spendy at today's prices... send me a PM to remind me and I'll send you a shipping address...

as I noted on your post.. Nephew to Robert Dole... what an honor it is to be a nephew to such a great American... that gives you special status in my book.. I consider your uncle an American hero...

regards
seafire

John Quincy Adams

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Is Blue Dot case sensitive? Do I need a filler, especially for bigger cases?

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is Blue Dot case sensitive? Do I need a filler, especially for bigger cases?

NO!

It is NOT position sensitive..

and DO NOT use case fillers, as they occupy space and will directly effect pressures, resulting in pressure increases...

that is not a safe thing to do...

also, I am against using Mag Primers with Blue Dot in Mag Cases...Large Pistol primers work just fine as do large rifle...

Winchester and Rem 9 1/2 are my preferences..

John Quincy Adams

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire2:
...Large Pistol primers work just fine as do large rifle...

Winchester and Rem 9 1/2 are my preferences..
Actually, "Rifle Primers" can mask erratic Pressure Problems that have the potentiol to cause Ka-Booms.

If you are determined to use Blue Dot, I'd strongly encourage you to only use Pistol Primers. You still have the potential for a Pierced Primer which can blow Brass into your eyes, but it is still preferable to a Ka-Boom.

I no longer support non-published Blue Dot Loads as they have proven to be erratic and potentially dangerous.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote