Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6 mm Gibbs question
 Login/Join

posted
I have a 6 mm Gibbs with a 26" barrel "tapered" approximately 1" in 11" twist. Could you give me some tips on reloading for long-range, high altitude coyote shooting.
Thanks!

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Sorry I missed it when I first replied. So I came back to say. Welcome to the forum. beer

I assume you have a 240Gibbs and not a 6.5Gibbs. This is my edited answer to a similiar question back in June.

"" I had my own 240PDK. Slightly bigger than the 240Gibbs. Burned out the barrel real quick, used more powder for small gains over the 6mm or 243 so rebarreled in 6mm. Data for the 240Hawk (http://www.z-hat.com) will be close. Your case is 2-3 grs (3-4%) bigger.

From my experience don't get attached to your barrel.

This is published data for the 240 gibbs. ""

With a 1/11" I would look to stay in the 85-90gr and think two types of powder slow and real slow. Don't overheat it the barrel will get real hot real fast.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Richard:
I am shooting a 6mm-06, which has a little less case capacity than your Gibbs. I built mine on a 700 Remington, with a 28" Pac-Nor Super Match, Sendero countour Barrel. I have been real happy with its performance. I have been shooting 54IMR4831/Hornady 87 HPBT/@ 3700 fps. Holds under 1 minute @ 500 yds, and prairie dogs in those ranges, are history. While barrel life, may be somewhat short, it is a fun cartridge to play with.

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have been shooting 54IMR4831/Hornady 87 HPBT/@ 3700 fps

You must have one cherry barrel. That is 250-300fps over what data says you should be getting with that load. Not to mention doing it with a .2" group.

I used a 26" but even with 11% more case I couldn't get that velocity much less the ones z-hat has listed for the 240Hawk.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote