New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does Reloading Make Sense?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I started reloading my .308 when I was about fourteen. Over the next 56 years I added, 25-06, and 300 Win Mag, 41 Mag, 20 Ga and 12 Ga. (Never reloaded for the 375 H&H.)

I burned a lot of powder until about 1990 when I moved overseas and had to give away all my powders and primers. Now that I'm back Stateside, I've still got all the loaders and dies, empty used cases, etc., but I only shoot the 25-06 when Gatogordo allows me, and the .41 Mag about a cylinder every two weeks.

I've just about burned-through my reloads for both calibers. Time to make a decision. Either start buying factory ammo going forward (the .41 Mag cost is astronomical.) or buy powder and primers, set up the loaders, and load a box when I need them.

I enjoyed reloading, but not sure it's worth the effort these days. Any thoughts?

Posts: 13860 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It depends.
I load for 24 metallic cartridges and four gauges of shot shells.
In some cases, like 12 and 20 ga light loads the pure economics are not there, factory loads can be purchased just as cheap. I still load them because I enjoy doing it and I think there is satisfaction in using your own hand made ammo. That's me, others may think its a PITA.

On metallic, if you aromatize the cost of brass over 5-10 loadings in most rifle cartridges and many more loadings in handguns, yes I think there are savings, big in some cases, and small in others.
More importantly in rifles is you can tailor loads to maximize accuracy.
However, if you are shooting a couple boxes of 30-06 a year and an occasional plinking session with hand guns, its probably not worth the time and effort.
That's my opinion and its worth what you paid for it.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2646 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've still got all the loaders and dies, empty used cases, etc., but I only shoot the 25-06 when Gatogordo allows me, and the .41 Mag about a cylinder every two weeks.

As long as you have all the stuff. Yes for the 41 no for the 25-06 if Gatogordo is also supplying the ammo.

The factory cost of a box of 41 mag well buy a lot of supplies for the 41.

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gato provides the hogs, I provide the 25-06 and ammo. (I think he would prefer I supplied a sharp knife. If I did that, he would want me to do the dirty work though. There is a lot of strategy there.)

I think I'll look into powders and bullets. Two cans and a couple boxes won't kill me.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
. . . the economics of reloading are one thing, I actually find reloading relaxing. Turn on the radio or iTunes and get after it.

Mike

Posts: 21698 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
I enjoyed reloading, but not sure it's worth the effort these days. Any thoughts?

Bottom line, is it still enjoyable?

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14603 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It does for me because I load for six grandsons, and a great grandson, and son. We hunt extensively yearly for Deer, often for Elk and other game sometimes. I furnish their guns and load for all. None has ever shot factory ammo and I plan to train them to carry on when I am gone. I have enough Brass, Bullets, Powder and Primers that they will never have to buy anything. I have purchased at bargain prices for 30 years and they are all aware of what is in the larder for their future. I might add this is a labor of love for me and it is the way I spend my winters in my loading room. It has also helped me stay married to my sweet heart all these years because it keeps me out of her hair at crucial times. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
I started reloading my .308 when I was about fourteen. Over the next 56 years I added, 25-06, and 300 Win Mag, 41 Mag, 20 Ga and 12 Ga. (Never reloaded for the 375 H&H.)

I burned a lot of powder until about 1990 when I moved overseas and had to give away all my powders and primers. Now that I'm back Stateside, I've still got all the loaders and dies, empty used cases, etc., but I only shoot the 25-06 when Gatogordo allows me, and the .41 Mag about a cylinder every two weeks.

I've just about burned-through my reloads for both calibers. Time to make a decision. Either start buying factory ammo going forward (the .41 Mag cost is astronomical.) or buy powder and primers, set up the loaders, and load a box when I need them.

Reading through all that, I am minded of St Jerome's utterance:

quote:

I am that prodigal son who wasted all the portion entrusted to me by my father.
But I have not yet fallen at my father's knees.
I have not yet begun to put away from me the enticements of my former riotous living.

Courage, do not fall at your father's feet. Wink

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since you have considerable reloading experience in the past, I will not belabor the general why's and benefits of reloading. To me, you have an opportunity brought on by circumstances. I would bet that a number of us, like myself, have accumulated different guns, calibers, and tooling to where we have to find time to get around to all of them, and end up mothballing some to find time to concentrate on the others (if we are not retired yet and have that pesky job to go to every day). You might see if just setting up and reloading one caliber would be enjoyable and keep you shooting something.

The .41 Mag seems like a good route - reloading makes it more cost effective, and you undoubtedly have dialed the power up and down in the past to suit your needs. This is what I found in my .340 Weatherby - that and the cost of factory ammo is so outrageous that I have never shot anything but handloads in it.

sputster

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You said you enjoy reloading so why worry about a profit?
If you go to a movie or a ball game, do you expect to save money or show a profit? Or do you go to enjoy yourself. To me, using shells I have reloaded to hunt with or punch paper is just an expansion of the enjoyment I get from hunting and punching paper.
Over 50 years ago, having the brass, I figured out I could reload 100 30-06 rounds for the cost of 20 rounds of store bought. I reported that info to my wife and closed the books. Since then, I have bought several rifles with the money I have "saved". Wink

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I still enjoy reloading and working up loads, maybe you won't be doing much of that.

Since you already have the equipment the overhead is just labor.

I can understand maybe not reloading for 9mm since the margin between retail and reload is smaller.

I figure if I'm in it for the money I can pay myself $24 an hour and load 8 boxes of 45acp in an hour. At $7.50 a box + $3 for labor that's $10.50 a box.

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It depends...It ALWAYS depends...this is one of those unanswerable questions because there are as many answers as there are shooters...and IT ALWAYS DEPENDS. Big Grin

For the once a year 1-2 box shooter whose only intent is to "get his meat" I think you would never amortize the cost of the reloading equipment because the savings is minuscule, so why bother...the "standards" are available and cheap at the 'Marts.

The cost of components has increased exponentially the past few years...IF...you could get components at all, and the cost of bullets alone increases at the same rate as the size/weight increases...powder has gone from 50 cents a pound to 30 bucks a pound...DEPENDING.

The biggest cost savings between factory and roll-your-owns is the brass and if you only reload say 100 pieces once, you have pretty much paid for your reloading tools IF your economic incentives are as high as mine...don't go getting picky here...it might take two reloading's.

This is a hobby and you CAN'T MAKE A PROFIT on hobbies nor put a price on enjoyment...Lord knows how much money I spend on my "Hobbies"...I should be as deliriously happy as a frog on a lilly pad at fly breeding time.

Once you get into this "hobby" you CAN'T stop spending money...it is worse than being addicted to smack or crystal...EVERY time I go to town I stop at ALL the stores that have guns, reloading components or other paraphernalia and buy something because I ALWAYS need something or have run out of some component or just buy it because it was unavailable at one time and I remember the effects.

AND...with this internet thing, I CAN'T stop going to some gun related site to "stock up"...I'm definitely keeping Larry Potterfield happy with my monthly stipend small as it really is, it's a BIG chunk of my monthly disposable income...and I don't waste money on booze or smokes now like I used to. Big Grin

Another thing, not matter how many sets of dies, bullets, brass, etc., you have for one specific caliber...as soon as you acquire another rifle in that same caliber you will start the buying spree all over. My new-to-me 1903A3 Springfield and 6.5 Creedmore are prime examples...I have brass AND bullets usable for those two coming out the gazoch, yet my last order from Midway included bullets, brass and loaded ammo for those two specifically...I will NEVER use up my supply of 30 cal bullets and I would have to start shooting all 3 of my 6.5's daily to use up those bullets. Frowner Eeker

I's ALL ABOUT ENJOYMENT and forget the cost, because if you actually broke down the cost of a hunt, no matter where or the length of time...THE TOTAL, ACTUAL cost of guns, knives, clothing, fuel, vehicle, food, drink, gum, snacks, permits, new, cool sunglasses, cool chapeau, cooler boots, cigars, finest showoff booze, camping, not to mention all those other items you acquire without thinking of cost you would probably think Golf was cheap by comparison... Big Grin lol

Anyway...it's a never ending story...just enjoy it while you can because and forget the cost or savings...it comes and goes so quickly...I think the world situation will render private ownership of guns and reloading equipment moot in the not so distant future through political action and human stupidity. shocker Roll Eyes

Luck beer tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not from an economic standpoint. However it can become a hobby onto itself (for me anyway) and you can do things the modern cowboys with black guns and surplus ammo don't even know can be done. Not a hard decision as there is no wrong answer.

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1111 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Factory ammo is expensive here in Aus. Plus I reload for cartridges super-expensive to buy, if you can get them or almost impossible to buy here. Such as old Nitro cartridges..

DRSS

Posts: 1971 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think there is any question that you can load components far cheaper than equivalent factory for rifle. Pistol depends on cartridge. As long as you don't count your labor! Component wise I can load hi-powered rifle for between $6-$10 a box of 20. Premium ammo would run $28-$35 or more. The added plus is my ammo is far more accurate. I have several rifles that simply won't group without handloads.

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Loading to me is just part of it.

Been doing it since my Dad introduced me to it long ago.

As far as enjoying it.......nope

I work a ten hour day.....it's just labor to me after over 40 years

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

If you already have the equipment, knowledge, experience, and enjoy doing it, what's your objection?

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Economics has nothing to do with reloading for me.

I reload to make a particular load do its thing better than factory ammunition. I can make bullets with outstanding terminal performance more accurate than any factory load that I've found, for every one of my rifles.

The only thing that I care about is getting my chosen projectile to the exact place that I'm aiming so the cost savings, my time and labor don't matter to me.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I
t's
an addiction or maybe an affliction.
Ill never give it up.
Its my drug the smell of a double base nito when it burns

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomP:
quote:

Bottom line, is it still enjoyable?

What Tom said!

With multiple calibers, the economics, overall is pretty good,, but I find it to be good therapy.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
If you only need the components it probably makes financial sense, but you might have to think long about the powder. If you can use one powder for two or more calibres you might use the can up before you go.

Posts: 5093 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you got the equipment and the brass.
hmmm.
yeah you'll save money.
you won't save much on 20 rounds but on 200 you'll save plenty.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
quote:

The past tense says it all -- if you don't "need" to, don't.

Posts: 4882 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think for now I'm just going to ease into this thing. Buy me a box of Sierra .410, 170 gr. JHC, a bottle of H110, magnum primers, and get set-up for a single caliber.

For the 25-06 I'll just try to find Federal 85 gr. V-Shok, or stay with the 100 gr. Nosler BTs I can get at Cabela's. (The last Gato hog I shot was with a handloaded Sierra 120 HPBT with 49 gr. of IMR4350. The case and a bit of the core stopped under the skin on the off-side of a neck/shoulder shot from 160 yds. This was on about a 130 lb. hog.)

I've always tended towards light/fast bullets. I don't see any reason a hog needs 120 gr.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
See what I mean...IT ALL DEPENDS... Big Grin Roll Eyes shocker

That's a good idea Kensco...no use getting all riled up, wild eyed and headed for deep water over something as simple as inexpensive cap popping. You might try Lil'Gun and WW 296 also. Wish I had my 41M Ruger still...I bought it and a Ruger 44M WAY back and BOTH got sacrificed to the needs of the family. Frowner

Some components are very expensive IF you can find them at all I DEFINITELY can't afford factory fodder for some of my larger cals and a few just aren't available at all except for custom loaders... a definite "No way, Jose."

GOOD brass cost's MONEY but is cheap compared to the time and loss when mucking about with converting cheap non-uniform brass into relatively expensive, "cheap" uniform brass and Rem and Win brass is hard come-by now days while Hornady, Lapua, Norma and RWS, while costing a bit more initially is VERY UNFORM such that I hardly do ANY benchrest prepping...I've become lazy in my old age...I just want to load up and go shoot small groups. Bullets are so uniform I hardly find two or three in a box that varies over 2-3 gr which is nothing compared to some I've measured in the "good ol' days".

I've shot some pretty lousy factory ammo over time and I DON'T buy factory "stuff" hardly ever, but the last couple of boxes of Win 308 150 gr PP shot every bit as good as my reloads, i.e., > 0.75" in my LR-308...I though that was exceptional...the same ammo did a 5 shot 1/2" in my 16" "truck" gun.

Again, this is a game of variables...and "IT ALL DEPENDS"...WISH I knew WHICH variables were at play for each rifle and each load combo so I could correct them BEFORE I pulled the trigger...then ALL my guns would be benchrest bughole winners and good to go for hunting. lol Big Grin tu2

Luck beer tu2

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I agree that it depends.

I am 42, and I have 3 small children at home, my wife is a certified master teacher, but teaches our kids at home. We just moved overseas, I have all the dies, brass, bullets, and I had to give away all the powder and primers, so I'll be starting from scratch when I restart.

There a ton of articles about the true cost of reloading on the internet. A guy that does a long range blog has a very similar ideas to what I started out with. Gunwerks has a video about the 6.5 Creedmoor and the cost of reloading.

The bottom line for me is that for most calibers it isn't worth it. You can generally buy ammo on close out if you watch the internet and end up with a few cases of ammo for most standard calibers for $10-35 a box of 20. I generally bough 6.5 Creedmoor by the case, 30-06, 223, and even a couple of times 338 Lapua. Just depends on what you are doing and what you are after.

If I was shooting a 476 Nitro Express, I would reload. 340 Weatherby, yep that one too. Mainstream common calibers, can generally be had on a deal if you watch the websites for less than $1 a round, and sometimes a lot less.

Even David Tubb doesn't charge that much to buy 6mm XC, 308 and 223 from him that he reloads. Beats the use of my time

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Just an aside. We (new yorkers) can't buy ammo through the mail. That means paying $30 a box for 45acp. OK ,maybe $25 on sale at wally words

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I reload some odd ball calibers, some of which can't be bought. I enjoy old guns and they can be cheap and fun because of the lack of ammo. I can load 6.5x58R, 8x72R, 9.3x82R,etc. Then there are calibers that I can reload for less than I can buy like 9,3x62 or 9,3x74R. Then there's the opportunity to experiment with loads that just are commercially available. Easy to get addicted.

Posts: 1319 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
Just an aside. We (new yorkers) can't buy ammo through the mail. That means paying $30 a box for 45acp. OK ,maybe $25 on sale at wally words

I see your location is New York City......if you could get some of those commie, liberal, whackos down there to vote in some Repubs we could fix this Safe Act fiasco.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2597 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It depends is the answer as one could surmise by the many posts here...I also have a lot of calibers, and I have a heavy investment in tools and components..Maybe if I was just starting Id just buy ammo..when I started handloading it saved you big bucks, not so much anymore..Best to put a pencil to it before you jump...I don't often load for my 30-30s for instance as I can buy them cheaper than I can load them, usually on sale at some local feed store or Walmart, wherever they show up..Same for a few other calibers..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I have no desire whatsoever to subject myself to the prices and limitations of factory ammo. Being disgusted with what was available on local shelves is a big part of why I began reloading in the first place. Now not only do I get the ammo I like, but I have an abundance of exactly what I want to shoot. And there is also the consideration of a changing POI from settling for what is available at the local spoting goods outlet. When you reload that becomes pretty much a non issue.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
quote:

IMO for centerfire rifle the answer is definitely yes!.....You can't buy hand crafted ammo for anywhere the cost of reloads.

For shot gun.....NO....right now I can buy new factory loads cheaper than I can reload them.

I still reload handgun ammo but only because I have so much components on hand.....be your own judge there.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
"Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery."
Winston Churchill

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
As a cautious loader with problematic rifles and sometimes bullets and powders, I find getting to velocities equivalent to factory fodder does not happen. So, if I want the most from any rifle, I just buy loaded ammo.

Another aspect, Kenso, could be our ages. I am nearly as old you report, and I suspect that at some stage the dangers of forgetting something might prove more costly than the money saved with reloading.

Posts: 5093 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sambar, I know what you're saying. I think as we get older our confidence in all things takes a hit; many times for absolutely no real reason. It's irritating to me that simple tasks like driving safely at night, remembering to lock the back door, remembering to take a beer out of the freezer, confidence in your putting ability, sex, investing in the stock market, sticking the wrong 30 caliber round in a rifle at the range, etc. cause me to question myself. You worry about making a mistake that will have significant consequences. (That is part of growing old I suspect.) That is one reason that I won't reload with a powder charge that doesn't nearly fill the case. I want no possibility of a double-load because I got distracted. Stay safe.

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
Mainstream common calibers, can generally be had on a deal if you watch the websites for less than $1 a round, and sometimes a lot less.

But then you are buying what they have vs what you want.

Which is fine if you all you want to do is to make loud noises and hit big targets at short range.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote