Find
Notify
Tools

416 WBY to 460 WBY
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of PoppaW
posted
Can a 416wby just be resized in a 460 die then its good to go? I have 50 416's and figure they would work good for my 460. Has anyone done this?

WOODY
Everyone is allowed an opinion, even if its wrong.

Posts: 419 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 10 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woody--that's a long draw.

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I don't know how the radius shoulder will impact it. I've taken 280 brass all the way to 416 just takes SEVERAL stages.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Mike McGuire>
posted
As long as the expander plug has a good taper and neck is well lubed.

If not the shoulder can collapse. The shoulder on the Wby (and also the 40 degree Ackleys) will not support much force from above.

One of Us
Picture of PoppaW
posted Hide Post
Well I guess I can lube one up and try it.

WOODY
Everyone is allowed an opinion, even if its wrong.

Posts: 419 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 10 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
The shoulder on the Wby (and also the 40 degree Ackleys) will not support much force from above

thumb Can't speek first hand as to the Wby case. But I will say you are right on as to a 40deg shoulder will not take much pressure. Lost count the number I have ruined over the years.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

<Mike McGuire>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
thumb Can't speek first hand as to the Wby case. But I will say you are right on as to a 40deg shoulder will not take much pressure. Lost count the number I have ruined over the years.

The Wby is much the same. Although I have never seem a Wby collapse when seating a bullet like in a 280 40 degee. But that might be because Wby brass has thin necks and maybe the cost of 378 based calibres is so high I would always make sure a bristle brush was pushed through the neck.

But for some usless information Big Grin the Wby shoulder is very strong from the other direction. I use to have 358 STA and made brass from both 375 &H and 340 Wby. As was the case with most big bores I play around with reduced loads. One load I had was very mild but it would still almost completely form a new 375 case to 358 STA but it would not shift the shoulder on 340 brass.

<Mike McGuire>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by PoppaW:
Well I guess I can lube one up and try it.

It will be fine.

416 to 460 would be the best of them because the shoulder is quite small.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Although I have never seem a Wby collapse when seating a bullet like in a 280 40 degee

Mike I've never lost one to bullet seating. But I normally use a BT. I lost them when years ago I tried to neck up already formed 280PDK brass which has a 40deg. Found out that it could be done but you needed a REAL slow taper on the expander.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Haven't tried 416 but absolutely no luck trying to go 378 to 460.

Posts: 558 | Location: Southwest B.C. | Registered: 16 November 2005Reply With Quote