Find
Notify
Tools

After 45 years reloadiing, I finally did it
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted
I have always been meticulous about my loading, no distractions in my loading room, no radio, no TV, and no company..

well last week at the range, I encountered my first major reloading screw up.

Getting ready for Cowboy action season, a practice shoot, I ran across 5 45LC rounds with no powder. At first I thought the charge may have gotten contaminated somehow, but after pulling the misfired rounds, there was no powder charge.
These were loaded 2 years ago, so trying to reconstruct what I did wrong, or how it happened is really bugging me. I always look down into the cases to make sure all have powder before seating bullets, or at least I thought I did, but in this case i apparently didn't.. and it's BUGGIN ME!

And for those of you that want to know, they were fired in a Ruger Vaquero, and the Winchester Primer just pushed the bullet out enough to jam the cylinder.

Now I guess I'll either have to pull the remaining rounds in that lot, or invest in an electronic scale to try to figure out which ones might not have powder.. (5.5 Trailboss)

But the event was an eye opener for sure, and just stresses the importance of not allowing yourself to get distracted, or loading when you have something on your mind, or anything else that might break your concentration..

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1980 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When a got my first progressive I was going along having a great time making ammo had a good size box full then I looked up and saw the powder hopper empty.

Didn't count them but I just use that box for practice and being very aware of the pop instead of the bang

I kept a brass rod handy tried the measuring thing didn't work well

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well i think that if that hasn't happened before that it was overdue. i ran a bunch of 45mag amount of the progressive a bit ago with about 40% of the rounds empty. turned out that there was a clump of powder which blocked up the measure. just one more thing to always be aware of. i don't think i know of anyone in the reloading game that it hasn't happened to before

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It happens, even to me. A couple of years ago, at a Cowboy shoot whilst I was firing my Colt 38-40 (my fav caliber), one stage sounded something like this: "Bang, Bang, Bang, BOOM". Instead of 8 grains of Unique, I figure there was 16.
It still was a hit.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Laws of probability run rampant in reloading. Some just enough to keep you honest. I though a progressive press was the answer to all things, and it is, until primers flip, powder runs out, monotony sets in. Last one I did was to lighten up the crimp on the 45acp and ran about 500 softball. It didn't take long to figure out they were too loose, D'oh.

Posts: 6 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 19 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
Because of this problem,I have retired my Dillon Progressive press. No mater how many times I tried to be a precise as possible,something always happened. A primer was seated up side down,no powder charge,a double powder charge,crushed cases,etc I found it was just not worth the possibility of damaging a firearm,me or a bystander.
I went back to the single stage CO-AX press and have never had a problem since.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 448 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post
They say that you're not a real shooter/loader until you've loaded without powder at least twice and shot your ramrod out at least once. Big Grin

Posts: 403 | Location: CA | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
The only people who don't make mistakes, are the ones who don't do anything at all. fishing

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wow you've only done that once! You are Goooood!!

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1231 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Well it is about time. Wink

Just learn from it. Other than a pain in the butt no damage was done.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike_elmer:
The only people who don't make mistakes, are the ones who don't do anything at all. fishing

I've had some monumental screw-ups, now my wife even checks my tray to make sure all the cases have powder in them!

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1414 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Let's see, a batch update of .45 ACP with at least 3 well under charge weight. My first batch on a progressive. I have a couple to pull. Bell curve and out piers compared to factory boxes. The first one cost me a barrel.

A .223 Rem with no powder. Didn't move the 77 SMK, loaded on a single stage.

Two incidents, 17 years.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Five or six years ago, one of my reloads destroyed my wife's Sig 45. Very, very scary, but she was not in the slightest harmed and continues to shoot.

I've been reloading for over 50 years, and until then I'd only had a slightly stuck bolt (once) and a cylinder that jammed (once).

We do what we can to avoid sh*t, but it happens.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know they have the powder indicator thingies for Dillon and others too.

But when you are using 5 grains , or for something like 231, I have always wondered if it wouldn't be more trouble with it indicating wrongly with those small amounts.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This scares me up. I am just starting my RCBS piggyback up. Until now I had a loading system of checking and double checking. I think a powder cop is probably the answer! Primers seated upside down can still be checked when you put your loads in a case holder and it would not be fatal. BUT Powder is a different story.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Don't be scared, just be careful As I said, any other adult leisure activity has a far greater fatality rate than reloading. Even laying on the couch watching TV has a higher death rate.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote