New
Find
Notify
Tools

Turret Press??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am going purchase some new reloading equipment with my Christmas bonus before my wife does something stupid like pay bills with it. One of the items is a Turret Press. I am looking at the RCBS or the Redding T-7. I have a RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme now and I think it's great. What do you guys like and dislike in the Turret Presses??
Thanks

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I have a Lyman that I like. I don't have experience with any other brands. One feature that mine does not have that would be nice is a counterbalanced handle so it stays up. Mine does not and you have to be careful or eventually you will try to rotate the turret head with the handle down/ram up and bend a decapping pin.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob G
posted Hide Post
Go with Dillon 550B and don't look back.
Best on the market and a bullet proof, no BS guarantee.

Do it right the first time.

Posts: 239 | Location: North Smithfield, RI USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob G:
Go with Dillon 550B and don't look back.
Best on the market and a bullet proof, no BS guarantee.

Wow, only two replies, and we already have a recommendation of a Dillon progressive press for someone who is interested in a TURRET press!

I suppose one could use some progressives (like the dillon 550 or Hornady LNL AP) in "turret mode" (one cartridge completed at a time or one operation completed on all cartridges at a time), but they are rather expensive for a turret press.

Other turret presses include the Lyman and Lee turret presses.

If one wants to complete one operation on all cartridges before performing the next operation, then another alternative is to use a single stage press with Hornady LNL quick change die inserts.

Andy

Andy

Pray, Vote, Shoot, Reload.

Posts: 315 | Location: Arlington TX | Registered: 21 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
take a close look at a co-ax with their slide in dies and universal shell holder & believe you'd be happier with it than a turret

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
I have an older Lyman with the 6 position turret. It worked okay for pistol ammo, but when I branched out to rifle loading a while back I found it too sloppy. I could not get straight ammo, and FL sizing cases put enough torque into it that the turret flexed...leading to uneven sizing. I also found it to be a very small time saver...doing single stage batches of pistol ammo, it saves maybe 2 minutes an hour...the time difference between rotating the turret and screwing in a die. If you are prone to doing a lot of small batches, it might be worth the hassle savings, but for me it just didn't add up. As always, YMMV!

The Lyman now weights down a drawer under my bench, and a Lee Classic Cast press has taken its place of honor. I haven't regretted it once!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree to the comments about the Lyman Turret press - man are tose things sloppy!

I use a Forster Co-Ax as a my primary press, and have been very happy with it - in spite of its quirks. So the Co-Ax would have to be my first recommendation. As mentioned above, changing dies is really fast on the Co-Ax.

If you absoluty HAVE to have a turret press get the Redding. It is way ahead of any other turret press I have inspected.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RayGunter
posted Hide Post
I have a Herters Turret. Very pleased with it for 10+ years. Its not a 4 holes I think it has eight. Dont have to wory about a guarrantee cause you aint gonna break it. Thing must weigh 35 lbs and stout.

Of course the grandaddy of all turrets is the Hollywood. Youll see'em on Ebay now and then. Run about 300.

Ray

...look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 117 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sloppy. Yup, that about sizes it up. Pun intended!

And the more holes, the bigger the turret, the sloppier they are or eventually will be.

If you need to spin things around, spin the shell plate ala, Dillon. RL550 or 650. Or some other progressive brand. I own a coupla Dillons so that's what I recommend. You know, Dillon has a try it for 30 days, money back guarantee. If it isn't everything, does everything they say, ship it back and get your money refunded. And if you order their dies along with the press, they set up the whole thing, ready for you to start loading, just add bullets. That's what I call customer service.

On the other hand if you aren't into accuracy, get a turret press.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
I have an old Hollywood Super D turret that I really like, although I wouldn't do HEAVY re-forming on it. It's not the least bit sloppy but, I don't know if there still available. It has a twelve station die head, a four station shellholder head and a four station primer seat head (which I don't use). Nice press.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
I have to agree to the comments about the Lyman Turret press - man are tose things sloppy!
- mike

As prev.posted my Redding 7 was very loose, but taking the centre nut off exposes a "spacer" which can be ground down by hand with sandpaper on a flat surface (glass). Now it rubs on the back support lug.
The 7 holer leaves the dies a bit close togeather for adjusting, but still OK.
It takes pride of place on the loading bench, surrounded by lesser single stage presses relagated to FLS dies etc.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote