Find
Notify
Tools

pulled powder
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of brian simmons
posted
just pulled some 30 -30 loads with 30-31 that were setting abt 10-15 yrs and have some questions . they were pulled because of too much powder in case. seems i used old manuals and they have dropped the amnt in the cases.usualy use kenitic puller and first couple came out ok, then switched to colllett style(easier ) and the powder seemed to stick in the cases. a little tapping and the powder came right out.
the only thing is it seemed a little tan/yellowish on some sticks. seemed maby lightly compressed load as some stuck to bullets as well . smells fine . dumped some cases i loaded 2 mo ago and all had no clumps. any one had problem like this before? been loading 20 years and never had this problem but never stored any for that long. think powder is ok? will end up dumping abt 125 cases when done and was going to refill the cases with the powder. thanks brian

brian r simmons

Posts: 186 | Location: nj | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
Brian, a color change can be an indicator of powder going bad.
If you used powder 15yrs ago with old loading data and they shot well in the rifle they were loaded for then I would think the load was ok?
Is there another reason other than the load?
If there is any question about wheather the powder is any good I would throw it out.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How much powder you talking about here? Powder just isn't that expensive. I'd dump it in the garden.

Posts: 526 | Location: Antelope, Oregon | Registered: 06 July 2006Reply With Quote