New
Find
Notify
Tools

making 9.3x62 cases
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
my cz 550 in 9.3x62 should arrive any day now. so it's time to call on those of you with more knowledge than me...again. i've read somewhere that it's possible to make 9.3x62 cases from 30-06 brass. if this is true, can somebody explain how to do this or let me know if there is any reason why it is not a good idea. thanks...bud

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey budiceale,

Save yourself the trouble and just buy 9.3x62 brass. You can get some really high quality Lapua brass from Midsouth Shooters Supply for $44 per 100. Or Graf & Sons (www.grafs.com) is supposed to have their own proprietary brand of brass sometime in September or October for around $30 per 100, if you can wait that long. [Roll Eyes] I couldn't wait so I went with the Lapua. This way there is no stretching of the case neck and you won't have to worry about fire forming anything. It will also come properly head stamped. You really can't go wrong with the Lapua brass, it is of the highest quality and it comes annealed from the factory. Get yours today at www.midsouthshooterssupply.com. Do I sound like a salesman or what?! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Roll Eyes]
I tried the link above after I responded and it doesn't want to work, but if you type it into your browser exactly like it is above, it will work. If you have any questions let me know.

[ 09-18-2003, 20:02: Message edited by: Trailblazer ]

Posts: 43 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 03 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
trailblazer...thanks for the info. i will definatly get some of that lapua brass. i was thinking about making my own because i found it at midway (norma, i think) for 73.00/100. $44/100 i can handle. again...thanks...bud

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not a problem. Anything to help a fellow 9.3x62 fan.

What type of 550 did you get (Lux, American)? I bought the Lux model with the open sights. It came with a really nice piece of wood, dual crossbolts, and beautiful deep blueing. I will be loading mine with 250gr Nosler Ballistic Tips to use on some wily Wisconsin whitetails. What will yours be used for? Any other way I can help let me know.

Also check out the posts on the Big Bore and Medium Bore threads regarding the wire retaining clip for the firing pin spring. Okie John had some problems with his CZ 550.

I love your signature quote by the way!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 43 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 03 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TB...i also bought the lux model. i'm hoping for a nice piece of turkish walnut. we'll see. also, since this gun will be my "texas express rifle", i had to have the open sights. mine will be mainly for feral hogs here in texas. it may also get some use on texas deer even though that will probably be like hitting a mouse with a golf driver!! as for bullets...i'll probably go with 270 grn speers...unless i hear that they are not suitable for pigs(this i doubt), and then i'll go with the 250 grn BT's. as i get a load worked up and start thinning the swine population, i'll keep posting on here. thanks again for the help. i'll probably be picking your brain on this subject in the near furture....bud

[ 09-18-2003, 21:38: Message edited by: budiceale ]