New
Find
Notify
Tools

375 H&H 250 grain barnes x Help
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm heading to Ak next month for moose. I have a bunch of 260 partitions loaded up and seen I have a bunch of 250 Barnes X left but for the life of me I cannot find my reloading data or a file on the groups of them. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Jeff

Posts: 561 | Location: Michigan, US | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Jeff: The Hodgdon site has all kinds of loads for a 250 grain bullet in 375. I used 4350, but soon learned my 375 like bullets of 270 grains or heavier.

Good Luck

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi 69deer,

I have used the original Barnes X 250 grs a lot in my Pre-64 Win 70.
The best load is 77 grs R15 for 2850 f/s. Great!
Start with 75 grs. And take care to leave 0,5" of free bullet travel to the begening to the lands!

Good luck!

PH

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
And take care to leave 0,5" of free bullet travel to the begening to the lands!

You don't mean one half inch do you? bewildered

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
More than likely 0.050" off the lands as Barnes bullets prefer to jump and problems can arise quickly if their set under 0.030" .

Posts: 46 | Location: Between here and there  | Registered: 18 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh! Certainly, yes! I mean 0,05"!! As the corresponding Barnes Manual prescribes!

Regards.

PH

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have a "bunch" of 260 Noslers loaded and they are shooting acceptable groups, why would you wish to take a big bite of trouble trying to get the sometimes tempremental monometals to shoot? The Noslers will take your moose dependably and without a hitch, while the monometals have a reputation for working great -- when they work.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
Call Barnes @ 435-856-1000 I had a similar issue last week. They e-mailed me the load data while we were talking. Very good customer service.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Larry

Posts: 561 | Location: Michigan, US | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Along the lines of the comments by Stonecreek, I have had poor accuracy results with monometals, Barnes in particular, 8" groups in one of my rifles, that shoot Partitions under an inch. My 375 prefers, Nosler, Sierra. If you got to shoot a monometal, I hope you have the time to test a few for accuracy at the range before your moose hunt. Good Luck

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My best load ever in my 375's is 250 barnes (old x's), 70grs.varget both shoot1/2" groups@100 yards. Wish I could find some more!!!

Posts: 54 | Location: Alb nm | Registered: 29 March 2011Reply With Quote