New
Find
Notify
Tools

7x64 Brenneke
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm starting a new reloading project for the 7x64 Brenneke. I've done the usual load book research and pretty much know where I'd start going forward with this but thought I'd ask for input from someone already loading for this cartridge.

I'll be using bullets I already have on hand for my 7x57R & 7mm Rem Mag, which are 120 Barnes TSX's, 140 gr. Nosler BT's, 154 gr. Hornady RN's & 177 Gr. RWS TIG's. Right now I'm considering using the Hornady's as a start.

I've also got VV, Hodgdon & IMR Powders on hand and would be interested to know if anyone can recommend their favorite loads using these components?

Thanks,

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gerry, somewhat strangely for a Central European rifle nut, I don't actually own a 7x64. But I loaded for a friend, and it turned out quite decently. Max book loads of R905 under a Hornady 154 grs Interbond gave me sub-MOA (3 shot) groups and around 2800 fps from a Blaser 22" barrel. I might have gone higher for this particular rifle, but was more concerned with safety, trouble free operation, long case life and good accuracy.

With powder equivalent to the R905 (RL22 etc.), you'll end up with compressed loads pretty quickly. At least I did, using RWS brass - which admittedly often has low internal capacity, but otherwise is of good quality. I did run into a small problem with my RWS brass, some of the case heads were a tad wider than the standard, and I ended up having to use a shell holder for the 6.5x55, and that worked well. I have experienced this issue with RWS .30-06 cases as well.

A lot of 7x64s are VERY long throated - as it is common with European rounds. Even with the long magazine of the Blaser, I ended up seating for quite a jump, but at least that gave me a solid seating setup in the cases.

Strangely enough, the RWS manual specifies magnum primers in their 7x64 loads. I'm not quite sure why, but since CCI 250 primers were what my friend had, we ended up using those. I'm sure regular large rifle primers would work as well.

I'd imagine VV N160 would be another viable candidate, as would other slowish powders.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
My Sauer 202 shoots sub-MOA (5-shots) with N160/56.0 behing Sierra 160 GK SP (I switch to the much harder 160 GK HP with same load, same POI, for heaver game). NB : N160 definitely prefers CCI 250 primers as std. primers produce vertical elongated groups (in my rifle, at least...).

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
André & Mike,

Thanks for the astute input guys, I appreciate it. I'm not much of a Push-the-Emvelope kinda experimenter, just want a reasonable accurate load.

Not my rifle either as Mike surmized. A friend bought the Dies and wants me to crank him out some of my "SuperLoads"; the one's that produce the itty-bitty, ragged, one-hole groups - he thinks these are kinda neat after seeing what some of my favrite combinations do in a couple of my rifles. We'll see if his rifle has the potential.

The rifle's a Mauser 66 and I haven't put the Stoney Point on it yet but figure the leade may be Standard European Longish. He's given me some Norma & RWS brass to play with, too.

André's Sierra loads look like kinda where I want to be so I'll back off a little and start from there.

I don't have any CCI's but do have some Federal Mag Primers so I will try them with the VV N160, which is pretty much where I was headed anyway with the Hornady 154 gr. RN's.

Thanks again, I'll let you know how my project works out.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Gerry

I have both a .280 Remington (BDL DM) and CZ 550 7x64 Brenneke that like identical loads.

In other words, should you have access to data for .280 Remington, sticking to published loads as far as pimer/bullet/powder go, you may be able to flesh out a few more "recipes".

The two guns have individual preferences, one for 140-grainers and the other for 160-grainers. Other than that and the non-interchangeability of brass, the 7x64 is the European .280 Just a thought and good luck.

BNagel

Posts: 4881 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MarkH
posted Hide Post
Hi

I've just completed a load development for my 7x64 Sauer 202 with 139 interbonds, 175 gn Speer mag tips and for plinking 160 gn spitzers.
As the throat is extremely long the 175 gn bullet drops out of the case before hitting the lands and when chrono'd the velocity is about 100 fps lower than book vel's.Therefore for bullet seating I initially seat them a calibres depth and then a little more to fit the magazine and feed well.
I use Rel 19 as that is convenient to get here and Rem 280 load data as my guide.
Even with a 3gn spread on 10 shots the group was 1.5 inches at 110 yds.
I prefer accuracy to velocity even though most of my game is shot at 150-250 yds.
139 gn - 57.1 - 2750 fps
175 gn - 52.7 - 2400 fps
I will probably crank up the 175 load to 2600 to give me a better margin but for pigs from a high seat in Germany distances are short.
If you are a high velocity fan the use the Hornady interbonds, if low vel then NBT's as my cousin was complaining about removing copper jacket from the back leg joint of a heart shot roe deer last week and the Germans do like their meat.
Regards

Mark

Hunting is getting as close as you can, shooting is getting as far away as possible.

Posts: 537 | Location: Worcestershire, England | Registered: 22 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BN & Mark,

That's for your perspective also. There's a learning curve in some of this, like Mike stated above I've already found myself switching about shelholders even between like brass as I was sizing the cases, which is something the 7x64 appears to be noted for.

The .280 Remington data comparison is also a good idea to see what else is available and obtainable from this cartridge.

I'll not be using the NBT's for game laods, they are fantastic bullets to immediately assess a rifle's accuracy potential and I use them as such. I've seen the results of too many of them on light game, primarily Roe Deer where they tend to be very messy and yes, the Germans prefer eating right up to the hole and don't like a mess when cleaning game.

I thought I'd go with the Hornady's as a start simply because I'll initially use the cannelure as a length guide since this cartidge in particular appears to be frought with the European standard longish jump to the lands.

Cheers,

Number 10

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gerry, since this is a German rifle, you *may* have problems getting .284 cal bullets to shoot well. As we all know, the German (or rather CIP) "7mm" bore is not the same as the US (or SAAMI). I think you have a good starting point with the Nosler BTs, but even if they don't shoot, don't despair until you have tried a German bullet as well - a KS springs to mind for good accuracy. Not all rifles react in this way, but it is something to be aware of, just in case...
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
gerry
ive been reloading for 7x64 for the past 5 years,RWS BRASS,FED 210 M PRIMERS,58G VHIT N160 SWIFT SCIRROCO 150 GRAIN HEAD JUST SEAT YOUR BULLETS TO THE BASE OF THE NECK ,MY SAKO HAS LOADS OF FREEBORE VELOCITY AV 2950 VERY LONG CASE LIFE
HOPE THIS HELPS SCIRROCO

Posts: 77 | Location: europe | Registered: 19 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
scirroco & Mike,

Thanks.

Scirroco, yes, that's what I'll do with the Hornady, to the cannelure which ought to put the base of the bullet right at the junction of the case neck.

Mike,

The factory fodder the rifle is sighted -in with is the RWS KS. They shoot O.K. but nothing to write home about.

Cheers,

Number 10