New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Killing" primers in a loaded case.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a butt load of corrosive primers loaded in military surplus 50 BMG.

just a question,

but let's say that I want to replace the primers without pulling the entire cartridge down.

could I stand the loaded cases in a shallow pan of oil, and then put them in a jig, and use a properly sized and indexed end mill to auger the primers out?

Then press(carefully) modern primers into the case?

This is just a hypothetical question, I would never consider actually doing this.

better yet, anybody have a M2 machine gun, and want to buy some ammo?

Posts: 484 | Location: SLC, UT | Registered: 01 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
You are not going to deactivate those primers by placing them in oil. You need to rethink how valuable your health and well-being is to you. Wink

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tested the "kill primer" theory myself. Soaked primed cases with H2O, WD40, and 3in1 oil. 24hr soak, 24hr drain/dry. 3-4 out of every 10 still went bang.

I really get tired of the kill the primers with oil tale.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Tear um down or shoot um..

AK-47
The only Communist Idea that Liberals don't like.

Posts: 10174 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pulling the trigger works fairly well.

one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
If these are gov't surplus 50 BMG, In addition to everything else I suspect the primers are going to also be crimped in.

Not only do you have the danger factor of risking a primer setting off a charge, but I suspect you can pull the rounds, dump the powder, deprime and replace the primer on 100 rounds before you could machine out the primers of a half dozen rounds, and maybe even fewer than that if one goes off and destroys the lathe which IMHO is a very distinct possibility if this is attempted with loaded rounds.

Or you can just shoot them and scrub the barrel with hot soapy water.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Most sure way I've found to kill a primer is to fire it. BOOM

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by low_tech:
I have a butt load of corrosive primers loaded in military surplus 50 BMG.

just a question,

but let's say that I want to replace the primers without pulling the entire cartridge down.

could I stand the loaded cases in a shallow pan of oil, and then put them in a jig, and use a properly sized and indexed end mill to auger the primers out?

Then press(carefully) modern primers into the case?

This is just a hypothetical question, I would never consider actually doing this.

better yet, anybody have a M2 machine gun, and want to buy some ammo?

Question 1, WHY? They won't go off or do anything else unexpected if you simply leave them alone.
If you own a rifle that will shoot them, simply use them. The corrosive component cleans up easy, just add a hot water rinse to the exposed parts before cleaning/oiling as normal.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote