Find
Notify
Tools

Grains of water chart
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted
Is there a chart that shows the grains of water that cartridges hold?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
thumb Good question, Doug. Would you think it should be measured to the top of the case , to the shoulder-neck Junction or where.
Roll Eyes I've often wondered how usable (available) volume or capacity was determined and why that way.
popcornShould neck , throat and magazine lengths be taken into account for every bullet weight and length? Even compression changes things depending weather you use stick , ball or flake powders.
EekerIt doesn't seem to be a stationary target.
beer Oh welll---back to my Rolling Rock. roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
This is not a statement, but a genuine question...doesn't QL calculate the useable capacity in a case, after one tells it how deeply he wishes to seat his bullet?

IF so, together with all the other info and recommendations QL provides, it makes that program seem like a real good deal for the money, to me.

I mean, you get useable case capacity, calculated pressures, recommended loads for a pressure level you select with almost any powder in the world, identification of loads which are definitely recommended AGAINST, ballistic tables, and a zillion other bits and pieces of data...its kind of like having the ADI, IMR, Hodgdon, Western Powders and maybe some other labs all working for just you, right there in your home.

NO?

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
doesn't QL calculate the useable capacity in a case, after one tells it how deeply he wishes to seat his bullet?

QL starts with the fired unsized water case capacity. Then depending of the bullet shape, length etc it will then calculate the Net(useable) capacity. You can either use the default or override the capacity for your specific brass and chamber.

I have see a list of the "std" case capacities. However I've also see 3-4grs difference between manufactures of 06 based case. So unless various manufacturers are listed it to me would be a rule of thumb.

Chuck Hawks has a list.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/rifle_case_capacity.htm

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
http://kwk.us/cases.html

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woods:
http://kwk.us/cases.html

tu2Thanks, Woods. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
This is not a statement, but a genuine question...doesn't QL calculate the useable capacity in a case, after one tells it how deeply he wishes to seat his bullet?

IF so, together with all the other info and recommendations QL provides, it makes that program seem like a real good deal for the money, to me.

I mean, you get useable case capacity, calculated pressures, recommended loads for a pressure level you select with almost any powder in the world, identification of loads which are definitely recommended AGAINST, ballistic tables, and a zillion other bits and pieces of data...its kind of like having the ADI, IMR, Hodgdon, Western Powders and maybe some other labs all working for just you, right there in your home.

NO?

To expand slightly on what Paul says, this is the use of QL, not as a sort of half-baked load manual.

The premise is much more reasonable than trying to "measure" case capacity to the base of the neck or seated bullet etc, because measuring total H2O capacity and taking away the bullet volume mathematically is much more accurate than trying to eyeball the other reference points.

What it does is give you a starting point that you may not have initially thought of and modelling options once you have done some initial shooting and chronographing. In other words it excels at the "what if?" game for experienced reloaders.

It cannot model the effects of throating in rifle chambers and so will always predict and increase in velocity as OAL goes down, the opposite of what happens in my rifles generally, and it cannot model pressure spikes that some loads give near the top end.Once you know the software and have enough bits of measured data from your rifle system to feed into it it's very handy.

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post

Stole this off a site a few years ago, I wish I could remember where, first to give credit, and second to see if other calibers have been done.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote