New
Find
Notify
Tools

rem corelock problems?!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a almost new Tikka T3 lite 308- I have put about 40-50 rounds though it so far and never had a glitch until tonight...I had 4 rounds of Remington corelock 150 grain ammo not fire when I tried to fire the gun. Luckily I was not trying to shoot a deer with it! The fireing pin indented the primer, but the round did not fire-Did I just get a bad batch of remington ammo? The 5th round fired just fine so I do not think it is the gun-I hope not. This was my favorite " go to" gun this year, but now I am not sure the gun will come out of the safe again this year-it is now a trust thing-I'll get it out to the range and send more round through it, but probably not until after the season.

So, is this a gun issue or a ammo issue?

Dave

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
First I`d suspect the rifle. I`d look at the striker for dirt or a burr from manufacturing. Packing grease could be slowing it also. Do you have another rifle you can check the ammo in to see if there`s problem with it if the rifle appears OK?

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're not the first guy that has reported having misfires with Remington rifle ammo lately. I don't remember exactly but I don't think the others were shooting 308, seems like they were using 30/06. I think if it were my rifle that I would find another brand of ammo that would shoot in it.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would blame it on the primers...

I have had a bad batch or two of primers lately....

From Federal and CCI....

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
If you got a good, solid indentation on the primers, I'd suspect the ammo. It could be a batch of bad primers. If the indentation is perhaps a little light, the ammo could have a headspace problem -- and I have seen excessively short headspace with Rem ammo in the last year or so. WHen the firing pin hits, the round flows forward as it can't contact the shoulder of the chamber. Of course, a burr on the firing pin or grit in the firing pin channel could be a culprit as well.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9397 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, upon closer inspection in better light, the indentations on the primer is not nearly deep enough-nothing like the other fired casings I had laying around. I also now can see some white stuff in the dent of the primer that fired-looks like white plastic stuff. wonder what this could be? I also found some of it in the ridges around the primer of the other rounds that did not fire...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've noticed that over the past 5-6 years Remingtons quality control has started to go out the window. I had some 308 cartridges similar to yours, but with the opposite problem. Instead of the cases being to short with the headspace (as sounds in your case), they were too long and some would only chamber with a bit of force on the bolt.

Cheers,

Rich