New
Find
Notify
Tools

A brief look into the future.......
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
When do you think ammo will be back in normal stock? Why then?
"Status Update
By Valley Guns II
Attention F.B. fans: to follow will be several IMPORTANT Info updates about the status of the gun industry currently, followed by an INVENTORY UPDATE: 1) We traveled to Texas for Industry meetings concerning the shortages, here's what we were told. Smith & Wesson-is running at Full capacity making 300+ guns/day-mainly M&P pistols. They are unable to produce any more guns to help with the shortages. RUGER: Plans to increase from 75% to 100% in the next 90 days. FNH: Moving from 50% production to 75% by Feb 1st and 100% by March 1. Remington-Maxed out! Armalite: Maxed out. DPMS: Can't get enough parts to produce any more product. COLT: Production runs increasing weekly...bottle necked by Bolt carrier's. LWRC:Making only black guns, running at full capacity...can't get enough gun quality steel to make barrels. Springfield Armory: Only company who can meet demand but are running 30-45 days behind.

AMMO: Every caliber is now Allocated! We are looking at a nation wide shortage of all calibers over the next 9 months. All plants are producing as much ammo as possible w/ of 1 BILLION rnds produced weekly. Most is military followed by L.E. and civilians are third in line. MAGPUL is behind 1 MILLION mags, do not expect any large quanties of magpul anytime soon. RELOADERS!!!!

ALL Remington, Winchester, CCI & Federal primers are going to ammo FIRST. There are no extra's for reloading purposes....it could be 6-9 months b/f things get caught up. Sorry for the bleek news, but now we know what to expect in the coming months. Stay tuned, we'll keep you posted. To follow is our inventory update for 1/26/13. Please share this info with your shooting buddies. Shoot safe!"
Now I do not doubt the person stating this is saying what he believes but some things do not add up. What about shotgun shells and 22 LR? Primers are not needed for 22. Shotgun shells already allocated for LE/mil? Are duck hunters not going to get steel 3.5 shells in the fall?

Posts: 557 | Location: Wenatchee, Washington | Registered: 26 April 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I always buy a year's worth of reloading components before every National election.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12713 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aye.. Crazy not to.

Posts: 806 | Location: Ketchikan, Alaska | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Where I am, shotshells are in stock everywhere, in all different sizes. 22 LR is nowhere to be found, though, I had to mail order some from a small shop in Georgia.

Posts: 5 | Location: SW WA state | Registered: 01 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Primers and certain powders are getting scarce here. I've been trying to find someone local to trade some Fed215's for CCI or Fed small rifle primers.

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We'll see what we see, but whoever can produce the most volume the most quickly will become instant millionaires, which is one heck of an incentive to make things happen. My guess is that the market will be flooded within 120 days.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
120 days.... 18 months from now....maybe.
stuff is being made and shipped everyday, rght now.
so where is it?
the lowest profits are on reloading components, so guess where the lowest priority is laid?

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think this panic buy is unprecedented.
I don't think ammo will cool off for 5 years.
2 to 4 years on guns depending on legislation.

Graf's went from having almost all powders and primers before Christmas as in the 23rd of Dec to 2 weeks ago having nothing.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Analog,I agree to a point.That being after the last election when the primers dried up + they FINALLY got some back on the market (Federals)I bought 1000 @ a greatly increased price (easy enough to load 1000 in an hour or so using a 650.I ended up getting ignition failure 2 out of 7.Bad odds. The point being that when the shortage occurred they farmed out overseas with I would say no quality control.I will not buy a Federal product to this day but they I'm sure are not the only ones.

Posts: 4394 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
120 days.... 18 months from now....maybe.
stuff is being made and shipped everyday, rght now.
so where is it?
It's all with the tier one and two purchasers. Re-look at the 100s of millions of rounds ordered by federal government for non-military use, then add in all the local through state level LE orders and it makes it leaves very little capacity for tier three and four.

My son was in Walmart yesterday - they're limiting ammo purchasing to 3-boxes per day. Previously with no volume limit, ammunition would be delivered on Tuesday morning with purchasers lining up when doors open; Ammo leaving by the case and by Tuesday evening there'd be zero ammo left until the next weeks delivery. Hence the 3-box limit...

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the issue reloaders run into is profit margins.
there is a higher profit margin in selling ready made ammo...
we can buy all brand new products and make ammo ourselves for about half what it costs to buy pre-assembeled.

so where would your focus be when things are selling as soon as it hit's the doors of the store?

get it made... get it boxed... and get it shipped.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I have ammo from the 80's with $3 bucks stamped on them, now they are going for 15 to 18 bucks. Ammo I bought in 2000 has doubled. I have by no means a stock pile probably less then an an avid shooter would shoot in a year, but I have been buying a few boxes everytime I'm in a store for the last 4 years and told my 11YO son that if I don't shoot it then he will along with my future grandkids. It's probably a better investment then 401k. I'm not a prepper but I think Ammo could be directly traded for food instead of even gold and silver.

Posts: 59 | Location: Southern Maryland | Registered: 26 January 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
After the first election everything disappeared and primers got real expensive. After 2 years the prices came back down. Primers dropped from 48 to 34 and I decided to load the closet. I still have a bunch of pre election CCI BR2 primers with $14 tags on them.
One thing really troubled me back in the spring is when the TSA who normally you don't see carrying weapons in the airport purchased 400 million rounds of 40 cal ammo. That is kind of conspiracy theory stuff to keep it from us.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's a good practice to use up your oldest stock first. When I've gotten through the Herter's primers I'll start on the Alcans. Despite trying to stick with this good policy, I did slip in a few of those new-fangled CCI's in the fancy box with the diamond-shaped patterns on them for a try. They're okay, but I didn't notice any real improvement over the Western Staynless primers I finally used up last year. By the way, when did Winchester go from a yellow box to a white one with red lettering?

Posts: 13246 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yuck

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote