Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9x57 dies
 Login/Join

posted
G'day all, I am trying to locate a set of dies for this obsolete cartridge, and here in Australia it is proving to be near on impossible. An old gunsmith mate gave me an M96 mauser with twin switch barrels, ( 6.5x55 and 9x57 ). I have just had the rifle completed and now I'm having an exhibition grade display case made for it and I want to put the dies for both calibres in the case. I am hoping that the dies may still be available in the states, maybe huntingtons or rcbs even redding, but here in oz I am having no luck whatsoever. Any help greatly appreciated, if anyone can give me email addresses or web sites to check on
that would be great...................cheers XXXX

one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Any of the die makers in the states will have the 9x57. I've had to 9x57R guns and had two sets of dies (RCBS and Reddington, never used the reddington).

I think you can buy 9x57 brass from Old Western Scrounger. If not, I assume you could form it from 8x57 mauser brass. You can't get 9x57R brass, but it was simple making it from 8x57R. Just got a .35 whelen expander ball (when it was tough to get .35 whelen brass) and passed it through the 8x57R necks.

Hope you like the round. I shot 250 grain bullets from Hawk (.356, not .358 for mine). Mine shot slow but was a bruiser!

Posts: 1067 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
xxxx

Are you absolutely sure it's 9X57 and not a 9,3X57? I have seen mauser m 96 in 9,3X57. For 9,3X57, bullets or brass won't be any trouble.

Cheers
/ JOHAN

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replys fellas, it definately is 9x57, stamped in the barrel and I also have the reamers for both chambers. I have made my own brass by the old ackley method of firing 8x57 in the rifle, thus fire forming to my chamber, what a sweet cartridge it is!

posted Hide Post
Great call, I got onto Huntingtons and yes they did have a set of 9x57 many thanks cheers XXXX

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
358 winchester or 358 norma can be used for neck sizing...

or a 8x57 can be bored on a lathe

jeffe

Posts: 38613 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
xxxx,

If you haven't seen it already, here's an article on the 9x57 that you may enjoy.

The 9x57 Mauser
http://www.african-hunter.com/9x57_mauser.htm

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
No I hadn't seen the article before, and as it's obsolete you don't see too many articles on the9x57.....Thanks XXXX