New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 Rum brass
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well,I finally got my new 300 RUM custom rifle,tried to shoot in the barrel.I used virgin 300 RUM brass of course from Remington as I am unaware of other manufacturers.To make a long story short ,I shipped the rifle and brass as well as dies back to my gunsmith Greg Tanner as all brass cracked about 1 1/4 " or so from the head with a deep circumferential crack after 1 shot.Used a light load: 83 gr RL25, 180gr bullet.
I thought the chamber was too long.Greg measured everything again and it was fine,again to jump to the meat,he dublicated the cracks after 1 single shot.Among other things he cut virgin unshot cartridges up lengthwise as well as borescope them.He saw a ridge in them,exactly where they crack.Clear evidence of junk brass.
I have an E-mail out to Remington but not much hope.In the past their customer service has been non existent.this is though a potential liability issue.Does anyone else have experienced this?
any thoughts on how to get usable brass?I doubt that my 100 brass are the only ones affected.Dont know whether this is a large or recognized problem with one particular batch of brass.

sheephunter

Posts: 795 | Location: CA,,the promised land | Registered: 05 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can you say where you bought that brass?

I had the same thing with Remington 338 mag brass a couple of years ago. Bulk from Midway, next batch was from Grafs and no problem to date. My guess it was that particular lot, not Midway by any means, as they would just buy and repack.

Posts: 711 | Location: Michigan , USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes I can tell,just checked back.
The brass was bought 12/27/01 from MidSouth.

sheephunter

Posts: 795 | Location: CA,,the promised land | Registered: 05 November 2001Reply With Quote