New
Find
Notify
Tools

Primer Storage
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Would useing a vacuum bag to store primers help?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jy:

Probably wouldn't hurt. But IMO it's not worth the time and trouble. Store them in the original packaging in a cool dry place and they'll be good for a long, long time.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing you think that sucking out the atmosphere will make them last longer? I'm guessing it couldn't hurt, unless:

1. You dumped them out of their protective packaging

2. You sucked the bag so hard that they crushed on one another while imploding.

Just keep them cool and dry and they will last for decades. Vacuuming isn't needed.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jy:

Like the others say, it is probably unnecessary.

If you're thinking of VERY long term storage (several decades -- and don't laugh, I'm just finishing off some great RWS Sinoxid primers from 1972), then vacuum packing would certainly protect them to some extent from airborne contaminants/corrosives like sulfur and from acts of God like immersion or windblown water.

I can see no potential harm in vacuum packing, so long as they remain in the original packaging.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Versifier
posted Hide Post
I store my primers in their original packaging in a .30cal ammo can under my loading bench. One package is 20+ years old and they're still good - shot some two weeks ago.

..And why the sea is boiling hot
And whether pigs have wings.
-Lewis Carroll

Posts: 224 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 01 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of flutedchamber
posted Hide Post
JY,

I vacuum pack my primers for long term storage. I am not sure if it helps anything, but I know it does not hurt anything either. I write the date of purchase on the outside of the bag, along with the lot number. I store these in 30 or 50 caliber ammo cans in a cool, dry place.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

You can trust the government. Look how well they took care of the American Indian...

Posts: 425 | Location: New Jersey The state sucks, but it's better than living in France. | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Whelen Nut
posted Hide Post
jv

I buy primers in large lots then shrink wrap them in their original containers for long term storage. If you are going to use them in a year or two then I wouldn't bother.

WN

Fill your boots, man!

Posts: 249 | Location: Northeast WI | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote