New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone ever load 300 gr. 45 ACP?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone out there ever reload 45 ACP with a 300 gr. .452 hollow point?
Is it do-able?
Got any starting powder suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

one of us
Picture of Shooter973
posted Hide Post
Why would you want to? So the bullet could go slower? Might not stabilize enough to shoot without keyholing.... Confused

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posts: 347 | Location: Ogden, Utah (Home of John M. Browning) | Registered: 08 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
The bullet is as almost as long as the case, I'm sure you could fit one in w/ a fast burning powder but I would think vel./penetration would be below 700fps. No expansion. little energy & penetration, so why exactly?

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Because I am cheap and I was given a box of 500 of the 300 gr. variety.
Guess I will just use them in the Omega 50 cal. BP rifle with sabots.
Looks like I need to buy a lot more black powder cheers

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Gab, they wrok great in a .45colt, make a trade w/ someone. thumb

posted Hide Post
I tried this one time with speer 300 grain JSP

The load I worked up was 300 grain with 8.0 HS-6
Rem +P brass and CCI 300 primers. I loaded the bullets just so that they would fit in the magazine of the 1911.

They chroned out of 5 inch 796 fps.

Jason

Posts: 81 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If one had a surpress 45 they would be good.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jason22,
Did they "keyhole" or were they stabilized enough to punch a round hole?
Was the recoil quite manageable ?
Just wondering before I load a few and shoot them over my chronograph for grins.

Gary

posted Hide Post
Gab

No they didnt keyhole...they shot well. Recoil...well 45 dont recoil much anyway. Kinda felt like +P remington or corbon load.

Jason

Posts: 81 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
gee i wonder why there is no loading info for a 300 in 45acp. and better yet-- why cant you buy factorty ammo with 300 ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can't buy factory .45LC ammo with 300-grain Speer bullets either - but that hardly means it is a bad idea to load them. The 300-grain load would be highly specialized with a very limited market, so it is no surprise it isn't commercially loaded.

The heaviest pressure-tested load data I have for the .45ACP using HS-6 is with the 250 Nosler. A maximum load listed in the Midway LoadMAP book is 9.3 grains for 910 fps. That's 460 ft-lbs, compared to 422 ft-lbs for the 300-grain load shown above. Looks do-able to me.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
From Speers #13 manual load notes on the 45 ACP..........

"The .451" 300 grain Uni-Cor soft point is not recommended for the 45 Auto. It cannot be seated to industry C.O.L. without bulging the case walls and there is little room for propellant. Even if no bulging occurred, velocities would be so low that bullets might lodge in the bore."

Doesn`t sound promising......... Frowner

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone, esp. Ol' Joe, with the advice and comments.
I will abandon any idea of using those 300's in my 45. May have to buy a 45 LC just to use them up Wink.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder how many Webley .455 rounds at 600fps stuck in the barrel ??

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Well BEJ, to my knowledge, no jacketed bullets were ever loaded is a Webley. bewildered When you slow a jacketed bullet down enough, sometimes the jacket sheds & sticks in the bore while the core excellerates to exit.
Gab , another thing to think about. Semiautos are setup to perform within a certain recoil impulse (bullet wt. & vel.). When you go too far either way, say 160gr or 300gr in a .45acp, you have to think about changing springs, etc. to guarantee function (160gr) & not increase slide/frame wear (300gr). It won't hurt anything to shoot a few of these "turtles" but I wouldn't want to shoot 500 w/o a spring change (same goes for +P on a regular basis).

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
No, but I have loaded the Lyman-Keith 268-grain .45-Colt type semi-wadcutter sized .452" in my .45 ACP. It worked very well in my Gold Cup-no feeding problems. My load was 7 grains of Unique, MV 820 FPS.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BEJ:
I wonder how many Webley .455 rounds at 600fps stuck in the barrel ??

None that I ever fired in mine! And I shot a lot of British .455 military stuff, which had a 260-grain JACKETED hollow-base bullet. The jackets were so thin, they split and peeled off when hitting a cement block!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote